How can I learn to use Cadence for PCB design?

In summary: I found some YouTube videos helpful, but I am usually confused as to where do they click or what software window they have open, whether it's Allegro Design Entry CIS or L etc., and the versions do not match mine.Are there any good resources you recommend?
tadeh89
TL;DR Summary
Has Cadence/Allegro always been so confusing?
Hello, I am a beginner but I have a few board design experiences. Now, I want to learn Cadence, but I am confused. Can someone explain the difference between the following software?

-Allegro Design Entry L vs. Allegro Design Entry CIS
-OrCAD vs. Cadence
-Signal Integrity/Sigrity vs. Package Designer
-PCB router vs PC planner

Also, I am specifically looking to work with Allegro Design Entry L, but I am unable to find any tutorials. Could you give me guidance as to where I should get started?

I am specifically trying to create a new component library. I am able to create a symbol using Allegro Design Entry CIS, but I am unsure of where to go next to create a part footprint.

Engineering news on Phys.org
tadeh89 said:
Summary:: Has Cadence/Allegro always been so confusing?

I would say yes but eventually one gets used to things.

The Cadence tools are for when one has a very complex PCB that needs to be manufactured very precisely but they are very hard to use and have rough learning curves. The Allegro Tool, in particular, is optimized for people who do only layout as their full-time profession. I've been using it for 10 years+ and I am still a neophyte compared to those guys. The library tools are similar.

Are you forced to use this suite by your employer or University? If so, they should have on-boarding documentation and they should be able to provide you with a buddy to assist you. Buddy system is how I learned most things I know in these tools. Make sure you take notes when they tell you stuff. You will need them.

If you're working by yourself or your design doesn't require the power the Cadence tools provide I would recommend using something simpler. KiCAD, Altium or Eagle are all good options. For designs that won't be mass-produced and have less than ~20 components I usually just use Eagle [*]. Less overhead and more simplicity, but also less automation, automated checkers and a less sophisticated constraint system.

There is no free lunch.

[*] Only because I am used to it. If I were starting from scratch I would seriously consider KiCAD.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
eq1 said:
I would say yes but eventually one gets used to things.

The Cadence tools are for when one has a very complex PCB that needs to be manufactured very precisely but they are very hard to use and have rough learning curves. The Allegro Tool, in particular, is optimized for people who do only layout as their full-time profession. I've been using it for 10 years+ and I am still a neophyte compared to those guys. The library tools are similar.

Are you forced to use this suite by your employer or University? If so, they should have on-boarding documentation and they should be able to provide you with a buddy to assist you. Buddy system is how I learned most things I know in these tools. Make sure you take notes when they tell you stuff. You will need them.

If you're working by yourself or your design doesn't require the power the Cadence tools provide I would recommend using something simpler. KiCAD, Altium or Eagle are all good options. For designs that won't be mass-produced and have less than ~20 components I usually just use Eagle [*]. Less overhead and more simplicity, but also less automation, automated checkers and a less sophisticated constraint system.

There is no free lunch.

[*] Only because I am used to it. If I were starting from scratch I would seriously consider KiCAD.
Thank you for your reply.

When you say "Cadence Tools", what tools are they namely, and which are "Allegro Tools"?

I will not be doing layouts full-time, but I will be making a lot of modifications on prior designs made by Cadence. I have used Altium and PADs a few times, and you are right, I hardly needed any help with those, at least for what I was doing.

I spoke with my manager, and he said that he will try to get funding approved for a couple of the courses offered by Cadence, but it might take a while before that happens, and a buddy system as you described may not be possible for me, as of now.

I found some YouTube videos helpful, but I am usually confused as to where do they click or what software window they have open, whether it's Allegro Design Entry CIS or L etc., and the versions do not match mine. I have version 17.2.

Are there any good resources you recommend?

Thank you very much for your time. This is my first forum experience, and I am very pleased with your willingness to help.

Likes berkeman
tadeh89 said:
When you say "Cadence Tools", what tools are they namely, and which are "Allegro Tools"?

These are "Cadence Tools"
-Sigrity

These are usually parts of Allegro, although they may require additional licenses to run.

tadeh89 said:
Are there any good resources you recommend?

Honestly, for the major CAD packages from any vendor, without a person to talk to it's going to be tough.

I learned, many years ago (pre-youtube), by just going through the documentation/tutorials Cadence provides. They're actually pretty good and I still use them for reference and when the UI gets overhauled. I ask more experienced colleagues, who do CAD full-time, when I get confused and stuck, which is often. I also learned a lot over the lunch table. Basically I would complain how tedious something was and another person would tell me some trick that could automate it.

If your design requires Sigrity (or something similar) for S-parameter extraction, or powerSI, etc. Or if you need compatibility with an existing part library, then you're probably stuck. Otherwise, I recommend trying to get away with Altium. :)

eq1 said:
These are "Cadence Tools"
-Sigrity

These are usually parts of Allegro, although they may require additional licenses to run.

Honestly, for the major CAD packages from any vendor, without a person to talk to it's going to be tough.

I learned, many years ago (pre-youtube), by just going through the documentation/tutorials Cadence provides. They're actually pretty good and I still use them for reference and when the UI gets overhauled. I ask more experienced colleagues, who do CAD full-time, when I get confused and stuck, which is often. I also learned a lot over the lunch table. Basically I would complain how tedious something was and another person would tell me some trick that could automate it.

If your design requires Sigrity (or something similar) for S-parameter extraction, or powerSI, etc. Or if you need compatibility with an existing part library, then you're probably stuck. Otherwise, I recommend trying to get away with Altium. :)
Thank you very much. I have a better insight now. I realized that my manager wants me to only make modifications when necessary, and my results will go through peer review by more experienced PCB designers who know the tool way better than me. So that's a relief. And I will take your advice for my home projects to use Altium. :) thank you!

Likes berkeman

1. How can I get started with learning Cadence for PCB design?

To get started with learning Cadence for PCB design, you can begin by familiarizing yourself with the software interface and tools. You can also refer to online tutorials and resources provided by Cadence, as well as attend training courses or workshops.

2. What are the essential skills needed to use Cadence for PCB design?

The essential skills needed to use Cadence for PCB design include a basic understanding of electronics and circuit design, proficiency in using computer-aided design (CAD) tools, and knowledge of industry standards and best practices for PCB design.

3. Are there any recommended resources for learning Cadence for PCB design?

Yes, Cadence offers a variety of resources for learning how to use their software, such as online tutorials, user guides, and community forums. You can also find books, online courses, and workshops offered by third-party providers.

4. How long does it take to learn Cadence for PCB design?

The time it takes to learn Cadence for PCB design can vary depending on your prior knowledge and experience with electronics and CAD tools. With dedicated practice and consistent learning, it is possible to become proficient in using Cadence within a few months.

5. What are some tips for effectively learning Cadence for PCB design?

Some tips for effectively learning Cadence for PCB design include starting with simple projects and gradually increasing the complexity, actively engaging in hands-on practice, seeking guidance from experienced users, and staying updated with the latest software updates and features.