PCB Heat Transfer Problem

In summary: Plastic emissivity: 0.9Copper wall emissivity: 0.2Ambient temperature: 20 Cmax Temp: 41 CPower: 7.6 WCurrent: .48 ampsResistance: 33 ohmsIn summary, the PCB is housed inside a copper box and it experiences a temperature rise due to the high electrical currents. The target temperature is 41-20=21 Celsius. The thermal conductivity of the copper is 400 W/m*K while the plastic's thermal conductivity is .146 W/m*K. The plastic layer is for insulation and it goes against drawing heat energy out of the core.
rsk2mc
Hello, I will try and provide as much detail to the problem as I can with the hope someone can help me solve this. We are currently working on a wireless project that contains high electrical currents, because of this the box the electronics are enclosed in experience quite a temperature rise. The basic concept is I have a PCB that is housed inside a copper box, the copper box has 3 layers, outer layer is copper, middle layer is plastic, inner layer is copper. I want to calculate the temperature inside the copper box and outside the copper box.

Here are some details that we know:
The PCB dimensions are: 3mm H x 37mm W x 159mm L
The outer copper box outer dimensions are: 17.9mm H x 41.9mm W x 163.9mm L; wall thickness is 0.2 mm
The plastic box outer dimensions are: 17.5mm H x 41.5mm W x 163.5mm L; wall thickness is 3 mm
The inner copper box outer dimensions are: 15mm H x 39mm W x 161mm L; wall thickness is 0.2 mm
PCB Thermal conductivity: .25 W/m*K
Copper thermal conductivity: 400 W/m*K
Plastic thermal conductivity: .146 W/m*K
bPlastic emissivity: 0.9
Copper wall emissivity: 0.2
Ambient temperature: 20 C
max Temp: 41 C
Power: 7.6 W
Current: .48 amps
Resistance: 33 ohms

i have attached some pictures to help. Please let me know if you have any questions, I have been stuck on this problem.

Attachments

• Pic1.PNG
    Pic1.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 460
  • pic2.PNG
    pic2.PNG
    14.3 KB · Views: 468
Engineering news on Phys.org
rsk2mc said:
Hello, I will try and provide as much detail to the problem as I can with the hope someone can help me solve this. We are currently working on a wireless project that contains high electrical currents, because of this the box the electronics are enclosed in experience quite a temperature rise. The basic concept is I have a PCB that is housed inside a copper box, the copper box has 3 layers, outer layer is copper, middle layer is plastic, inner layer is copper. I want to calculate the temperature inside the copper box and outside the copper box.

Here are some details that we know:
The PCB dimensions are: 3mm H x 37mm W x 159mm L
The outer copper box outer dimensions are: 17.9mm H x 41.9mm W x 163.9mm L; wall thickness is 0.2 mm
The plastic box outer dimensions are: 17.5mm H x 41.5mm W x 163.5mm L; wall thickness is 3 mm
The inner copper box outer dimensions are: 15mm H x 39mm W x 161mm L; wall thickness is 0.2 mm
PCB Thermal conductivity: .25 W/m*K
Copper thermal conductivity: 400 W/m*K
Plastic thermal conductivity: .146 W/m*K
bPlastic emissivity: 0.9
Copper wall emissivity: 0.2
Ambient temperature: 20 C
max Temp: 41 C
Power: 7.6 W
Current: .48 amps
Resistance: 33 ohms

i have attached some pictures to help. Please let me know if you have any questions, I have been stuck on this problem.
Hire a mechanical engineer, if you are not one, or collaborate with and undergrad in ME.
Start your analysis with the source from then you can calculate all the rest. Study heat transfer dynamics.
Your target ΔT = 41-20 =21 centigrade

rsk2mc said:
The basic concept is I have a PCB that is housed inside a copper box, the copper box has 3 layers, outer layer is copper, middle layer is plastic, inner layer is copper. I want to calculate the temperature inside the copper box and outside the copper box.
Why are you thermally insulationg the PCB if you are worried about heat transfer and temperature rise? And why are you specifying Tambient ast 20C? Is this i a controlled lab environment?

The above info is what was given to me, I did not derive these numbers. I have been away from heat transfer for quite a while, I'm more focused in stress analysis. This is in a controlled environment, this is a healthcare application.

Well tell them the design makes no sense to experienced engineers. Their thermal design is wrong.

Likes Nidum
This design was actually made by Electrical Engineers, then the obvious problems occurred, MEs were brought in.

berkeman said:
Why are you thermally insulationg the PCB if you are worried about heat transfer and temperature rise? And why are you specifying Tambient ast 20C? Is this i a controlled lab environment?
This is a capacitor don't you think? The dielectric is in between copper

I'm an EE. and I do thermal analyses all the time. Ask the EEs for the junction temperature analysis of the semiconductors in this design. They are responsible for that, not the MEs by themselves.

In more cooperative work environments, we work together with the MEs to optimize the thermal transfer from the semiconductor junctions on our PCBs to the ambient air. We use "thermal resistance" numbers in degrees C per Watt for these calculations.

And can you say what the insulation plastic layer is for in the design. It goes against drawing heat energy out of the core, obviously...

The material is ULTEM and the pcb is FR4.

rsk2mc said:
This design was actually made by Electrical Engineers, then the obvious problems occurred, MEs were brought in.
Are all the materials arranged in compact not spaced void in between, when you cut it in a cross section? If so this is a conduction heat transfer. This may help
3-heat-conduction-equation-compatibility-mode-4-638.jpg

There is air space between the pcb and the inner copper box.

rsk2mc said:
There is air space between the pcb and the inner copper box.
Is that space in between ventilated or open to the outside?

No, it's all enclosed.

rsk2mc said:
No, it's all enclosed.
Is it depressurized or evacuated with air?

Ronie Bayron said:
This is a capacitor don't you think?
Wait, this is a capacitor, and you are worried about thermal effects? I need to re-read the thread. Wait one...

rsk2mc said:
We are currently working on a wireless project that contains high electrical currents, because of this the box the electronics are enclosed in experience quite a temperature rise. The basic concept is I have a PCB that is housed inside a copper box, the copper box has 3 layers, outer layer is copper, middle layer is plastic, inner layer is copper. I want to calculate the temperature inside the copper box and outside the copper box.
That is just a capacitor?

berkeman said:
Wait, this is a capacitor, and you are worried about thermal effects? I need to re-read the thread. Wait one...
It's a form of shielding from interference I guess

No, the pcb is set inside the copper enclosure. The heat is mainly caused by rf and stray currents.

It is not depresserized. It is a form of shielding. The reason I posted this is because my initial calcs are off by 80 degrees and I'm not sure what I'm missing. I am on the process of running an Ansys analysis but I was hoping to solve this by hand. We have tested this which is how I know the temperature reached 180 F

rsk2mc said:
It is not depresserized. It is a form of shielding. The reason I posted this is because my initial calcs are off by 80 degrees and I'm not sure what I'm missing. I am on the process of running an Ansys analysis but I was hoping to solve this by hand. We have tested this which is how I know the temperature reached 180 F
The EE working on this shielding should post here so we can help him/her. There are ways to design good electrical shielding with adequate thermal transfer...

rsk2mc said:
If its not depressurized (the cavity inside or in between pcb and encasement and assuming that there are no vents as you said) then you would get ΔP/ΔT = constant relationship. RF does not heat up anything if there is no media in between pcb to heat up.

The space in between should be vented or not, evacuated/depressurized it so you can treat your analysis from the pcb pure radiative heat.[/SUP]

rsk2mc said:
No, the pcb is set inside the copper enclosure. The heat is mainly caused by rf and stray currents.
If its caused by that, try evacuate the cavity between pcb and copper enclosure from air, then ground first layer copper enclosure. It's worth to try.

1. What is a PCB heat transfer problem?

A PCB heat transfer problem refers to the issue of heat buildup in a printed circuit board (PCB) which can potentially damage components and affect the performance of electronic devices. It is caused by poor heat dissipation and can lead to overheating, which is a common problem in electronic devices.

2. How does heat affect a PCB?

Heat can cause a number of issues in a PCB, including damage to components, reduced lifespan, and malfunctioning of the device. It can also lead to thermal stress, which can cause cracks and breaks in the PCB, affecting its structural integrity.

3. What are the common causes of PCB heat transfer problems?

The most common causes of PCB heat transfer problems are poor design, insufficient ventilation, high ambient temperatures, and inadequate heat sinks or other cooling mechanisms. Other factors such as excessive power consumption and high current can also contribute to heat buildup.

4. How can PCB heat transfer problems be prevented?

To prevent PCB heat transfer problems, proper heat management techniques should be implemented during the design phase. This includes using heat sinks, thermal vias, and other cooling mechanisms to dissipate heat effectively. Additionally, good PCB layout practices, such as minimizing trace lengths and avoiding crowded layouts, can also help prevent heat buildup.

5. What are some solutions to PCB heat transfer problems?

If a PCB heat transfer problem is already present, there are several solutions that can be implemented. These include using thermal interface materials, improving ventilation, and adding additional cooling mechanisms such as fans or heat sinks. In some cases, redesigning the PCB with better heat management techniques may also be necessary.