Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PCMCIA Cardbus?

1. Dec 11, 2006 #1
    Hey Folks
    I have an older laptop which I use for Word, email, internet and some other basic stuff. 16 bit cards seem to work fine. Problem is almost all pcmcia cards you get these days are 32 bit cardbus cards. Now I know for a fact that the pcmcia controller is 32 bit, but in the device manager it does not specifically say anything about "cardbus" it just says "pcic or compatible pcmcia controller" and "cardbus services" when I click the plus sign in the device manager.
    From what understand from my research 32 bit pc card IS "cardbus" and 16 bit is not.
    Anyway the dilemna is that I bought a 32 bit cardbus ethernet card and a USB pcmcia card that is also cardbus and I can't get either of them to work. The system apparently doesn't even recognize them. Because when I insert them the "install new hardware wizard" does not start. I can get the drivers to install after a long wrestle with the thing, and the device manager tells me the device is working properly, but the system will display the card slot as "empty". And the card will not work.:confused:
    Anybody have a similar problem?
    Is my system just not compatible?
    It's a Toshiba Satellite 440CDT, 133MHZ processor, 48MB RAM, 3.1 gig hd.
    I love this laptop and I just wish to improve it's functionality.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted