1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PD tuner parameter help

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I have been asked to design a PD Controller on Matlab that satisfies certain performance criteria which are as follows :

1. The 10-90% rise time is less than 0.5 s
    2. The percentage overshoot is less than 5%.
    3. The settling time is less than 5 s

I was given the closed loop transfer function of the system which had two parameters as Kd and Kp where
    Kp lies between a range of 0<Kp<1.5
    and Kd lies between a range of 0<Kd<4.4

Question is to figure out how Kd and Kp influence the performance criterias.

2. Relevant equations
    The closed loop transfer function = ## G_{cl}(s) \ ## = ## \frac {K_Ds + K_P} {1.1{s}^2+K_Ds+K_P} \ ##

3. The attempt at a solution

I have acheived the performance criteria as stated on MATLAB when I put ## K_D \ ## as maximum of 4.39 and ## K_P \ ## as around the half of the range as 0.7. However, I really can't tell how exactly they affect the performance criterias because I have produced many graphs with different values of both parameters and I just can't figure out a relationship between them. Please HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted