Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE and manifolds

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    I'm looking to delve into PDEs. I'm reading thru Lee's Smooth Manifolds, and he has a chapter on integral manifolds, and how they relate to PDE solutions via Frobenius' theorem. I find the hint of geometrical aspects very appealing.

Evans' PDE book (that I was planning on picking up) doesn't seem to mention these geometrical aspect of PDEs - no manifolds, frobenius, differential forms in the index. For instance, going by the index, Taylor does.

https://www.amazon.com/Partial-Diff...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259469798&sr=1-2

Yet many of the reviews I've read, and browsing course homepages, tend to favor Evans' treatment for intro PDEs.

Can anyone give me insight into this? Are the geometrical aspects of PDEs via manifolds not that compelling/useful? Or is it too much additional complexity for an intro course? Or what?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted