1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE concept Help

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Uxx + 3*Uyy - 2*Ux + 24*Uy +5*U = 0

Reduce this to the form Vxx + Vyy + C*V = 0

U = V*e^(alpha*x + Beta*y)

y' = gamma*y

Ok, the problem I am having is I don't know what to do with the gamma, however I am off by a factor of 3 in my answer for Vyy, so I know gamma must be 1/sqrt(3). I just don't understand how the gamma works here.

2. Relevant equations
    I am not quite sure what to put in this space, first time posting, and have everything up to I believe

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, I have simply taken partial derivatives of the equation U = V*e^(alpha*x + Beta*y)

This has churned out the following equation when plugging the partial derivatives back into the PDE above:

Vxx*e^(alpha*x + Beta*y) + 3*Vyy*e^(alpha*x + Beta*y) + (alpha -1)*Vx*e^(alpha*x + Beta*y) + (6*Beta + 24)*Vy*e^(alpha*x + Beta*y) + ((alpha)^2 + (Beta)^2 + 24*Beta - 2*alpha + 5)*V*e^(alpha*x + Beta*y) = 0

as seen, there is a factor of 3 I can't account for because it is easily found that alpha = 1 and Beta = -4. I know the 3 is killed by gamma = 1/sqrt(3), however IDK how it works.

The equation is then reduced to (I am leaving the e^(alpha*x + Beta*y) in although it could be divided out easily):

Vxx*e^(alpha*x + Beta*y) + 3*Vyy*e^(alpha*x + Beta*y) + ((alpha)^2 + (Beta)^2 + 24*Beta - 2*alpha + 5)*V*e^(alpha*x + Beta*y) = 0

I would really appreciate an explanation for why and how this gamma works.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?