Solve this PDE 2Ux-Uy+5U=10 with U(x,0)=0

• Thread starter BustedBreaks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
Your Name]In summary, the forum poster is trying to understand the concept of characteristic equation and why it is important in solving a PDE. The characteristic equation helps to identify a family of curves or surfaces that satisfy the PDE. When taking the derivative of V(y) with respect to y, the x variable is treated as a constant, resulting in 2Ux+Uy instead of 2Ux-2Uy.
BustedBreaks
I'm following an algorithm my teacher gave us and I'm trying to understand it...

I'm trying to solve this PDE 2Ux-Uy+5U=10 with U(x,0)=0

First I need to solve the homogeneous equation.

So I set up the relation:
V(y)=U(2y+c, y)

to solve 2Ux-Uy=0

where the characteristic equation is y=1x/2 -c/2 and x=2y+c

***My first problem is that I am having a hard time understanding what the characteristic equation is and why it is important to use in solving this problem.

Then I need to to take the derivative of V(y) with respect to y

V ' (y) =(Ux)(Xy) + (Uy)(Yy) which is
V ' (y) =2Ux+Uy

here is my second problem, I seem to get 2Ux+Uy instead of 2Ux-2Uy which is what I need to make the problem a little easier...EDIT... Finally got it, nvm...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I understand that you are trying to solve the PDE 2Ux-Uy+5U=10 with the initial condition U(x,0)=0. I will try to explain the concept of characteristic equation and why it is important in solving this problem.

In solving a PDE, we often use the method of characteristics to find a solution. The characteristic equation is a set of equations that describes the behavior of a PDE along a particular curve or surface. In other words, it helps us to find a solution by identifying a family of curves or surfaces that satisfy the PDE.

In your case, the characteristic equation is y=1x/2 -c/2 and x=2y+c. This equation is obtained by setting the coefficient of the highest order derivative (in this case, Ux) equal to 0. Solving this equation will give us a family of curves that satisfy the PDE.

Now, when you take the derivative of V(y) with respect to y, you will get 2Ux+Uy. This is because the characteristic equation involves both x and y variables, so when you take the derivative with respect to y, x is treated as a constant. Therefore, you will get 2Ux+Uy instead of 2Ux-2Uy.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of characteristic equation and why it is important in solving this PDE. Keep up the good work in trying to understand the algorithm given by your teacher. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Keep learning and exploring!

What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is an equation that involves partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It is commonly used in mathematical modeling to describe physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electromagnetic fields.

How do you solve a PDE?

Solving a PDE involves finding a solution to the equation that satisfies certain boundary conditions. This can be done analytically, using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics, or numerically, using computational methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. The specific method used depends on the type of PDE and the boundary conditions given.

What is the PDE 2Ux-Uy+5U=10 used for?

This PDE is a linear, first-order PDE that is commonly used to model heat transfer and diffusion processes. It can also be used to describe other physical phenomena, such as electrical conduction and chemical reactions.

What does the initial condition U(x,0)=0 mean?

The initial condition U(x,0)=0 means that the solution to the PDE must equal 0 at the initial time, or t=0. This is a boundary condition that helps to narrow down the possible solutions to the PDE.

What are some possible methods for solving this specific PDE?

Some possible methods for solving this PDE include separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and finite difference or finite element methods. Which method is most appropriate depends on the specific boundary conditions and the desired level of accuracy for the solution.