PDE: How to use Fourier Series to express a real function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Fourier series to express a real function and the condition that must be imposed on the constants in order for them to become real. The conversation also touches on the concept of orthogonality of sine functions and how it relates to the integral definition. The participants also discuss the use of complex numbers and their conjugates in expressing the function.
iScience
actually have two questions:

here we have a Fourier series..
$$f(t) = \sum c_k e^{2\pi ikt}$$ (c is complex)
if we're trying to express a real function via Fourier series, and we do it the following way..

Impose condition: $$\overline{c_k} = c_{-k}$$

$$f(t) = \sum\limits_{k= -n}^n c_k e^{2\pi ikt}$$
then, although the constants would become real, wouldn't the exponents go to zero? why not?
could someone give me more of an intuitive understanding for the "orthogonality" of sine functions? i know the integral definition, but how exactly does this integral dictate what can & can't be expressed in terms of what (ie could you relate the integral definition to the classical sense of the word 'orthogonal')

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should try and explain why the exponent would go to zero. Or why the constants become real for that matter. I don't understand you last paragraph.

(i accidentally left out the k)

actually.. you'd essentially be having this

$$c(u+iv)e^{2\pi i k t} +c(u-iv)e^{-2\pi i k t}$$ (since the condition above would imply k is part of v)

so i don't even know how you'd add the two to get a real anymore..

Try and write out the exponentials as cos and sin. Also complex number plus its conjugate is real.

$$c(u+iv)(cosg+ising)+ c(u-iv)(-cosg-ising) = (cosg+ising)(c(u+iv)-c(u-iv))$$

yes, but instead of a plus i get a minus, what'd i do wrong?

exp(-ix) = cos(x) - isin(x)

oops, okay and after that, since all the sin terms go to zero they're irrelevant. thanks

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function of several independent variables. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems that involve changes in multiple variables.

2. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier series is a representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It can be used to approximate functions that are not periodic by considering them as periodic over a certain interval.

3. How can Fourier Series be used to express a real function?

Fourier Series can be used to express a real function by approximating it with a sum of sinusoidal functions. This allows for the function to be represented in a simpler form that is easier to manipulate and analyze.

4. What are the advantages of using Fourier Series in PDEs?

Fourier Series can greatly simplify the calculations involved in solving PDEs. They can also provide insight into the behavior of the solution by breaking it down into simpler components. Additionally, Fourier Series have a wide range of applications and can be used to solve a variety of problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier Series in PDEs?

While Fourier Series can be useful in solving PDEs, they are not always applicable. They may not work for functions that are not periodic or do not have well-defined derivatives. Additionally, the convergence of Fourier Series may be slow for certain functions, making them less efficient in certain situations.