Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE: If u is a solution to a certain bound problem, question about laplacian u

1. Oct 6, 2005 #1
    Why does the laplacian of u=0 when u is a solution to a certain boundary problem? Is this always the case?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2005 #2
    after working it out, I realized I was on a totally wrong track. It's simply dependent on the stipulations on the laplacian. Perhaps one can help me with one more thing. Are there any special facts about the laplacian of a solution to a pde problem?

4. Nov 3, 2005 #3
    Lu=0 is the laplace equation (L is the laplacian operator), which is itself a PDE. A Function u which satisfies the laplace equation is called an harmonic function. If the solution of a different PDE satifies also the laplace equation (it's laplacian is zero) that solution is itself an harmonic function or a sum of them or may be expresed as a series of harmonic functions, because the laplacian is a linear operator and it obbeys the superposition principle. Of course this is a very informal explanation, but i think that is what you are asking for,, maybe

5. Jan 16, 2006 #4
    Calvino, spesify your question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?