Solving Cylindrical Coordinate Equation with $\delta$ Functions

In summary, the poster is seeking help in solving an equation in cylindrical coordinates involving delta functions and partial derivatives. They have attempted to use separation of variables, but are having trouble finding a solution. The summary also provides steps for solving the equation.
mtszyk

Homework Statement

Solve in cylindrical coordinates
[itex]-m\delta(z)\delta(\rho-a)=\partial^2_z A(z,\rho)+\partial^2_\rho A(z,\rho)+\frac{1}{\rho}\partial_\rho A(z,\rho)-\frac{1}{\rho^2}A(z,\rho)[/itex]

Where [itex]\partial_i[/itex] is the partial derivative with respect to [itex]i[/itex].

Homework Equations

It is suggested to use an integral representation for a delta function (only for the [itex]\rho[/itex] delta), which I think is:
[itex]\delta(\rho-a)=\frac{1}{2 \pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{i k (\rho-a)}\,\mathrm{d}k[/itex]

But it could refer to a representation using bessel functions, because I expect there to be bessel functions in the answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt went with assuming that because there is delta functions, I can initially set those equal to zero and use the separation of variables, and expect the final answer to be in the form of whatever I get. Turns out that doesn't quite work.

Now I'm a bit lost, anyone have a direction to point me in?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Solving this equation in cylindrical coordinates can be tricky, but here are some steps that may help you find a solution:

1. Start by substituting the integral representation for the \rho delta function into the equation. This will give you an integral equation with an unknown function A(z,\rho).

2. Use the properties of delta functions to simplify the equation as much as possible. For example, you can use the fact that \delta(z) = 0 for z \neq 0 to simplify the equation.

3. Next, try using the method of separation of variables to separate the equation into two simpler equations, one for z and one for \rho. This will involve assuming that the solution can be written as A(z,\rho) = Z(z)R(\rho), where Z(z) is a function of z alone and R(\rho) is a function of \rho alone.

4. Once you have separated the equation, you can solve each equation separately using standard techniques for solving ordinary differential equations.

5. Finally, combine the solutions for Z(z) and R(\rho) to get the overall solution for A(z,\rho).

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Best of luck with your solution!

1. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a system of representing points in three-dimensional space using a combination of radius, angle, and height. They are often used in physics and engineering to describe objects with cylindrical symmetry, such as cylinders, pipes, and rotating objects.

2. What is the equation for converting cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

The equation for converting cylindrical coordinates (ρ,φ,z) to Cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) is x = ρcosφ, y = ρsinφ, and z = z.

3. What are delta functions?

Delta functions, denoted by the symbol δ, are mathematical functions that represent a point of infinite magnitude at a specific location. They are often used in physics to describe localized phenomena or as a way to simplify equations.

4. How do you solve a cylindrical coordinate equation with delta functions?

To solve a cylindrical coordinate equation with delta functions, you must first set up the equation in terms of cylindrical coordinates. Then, you can use the properties of delta functions to simplify the equation and solve for the desired variable. It is important to understand the properties of delta functions, such as translation and scaling, to successfully solve these types of equations.

5. What are some applications of solving cylindrical coordinate equations with delta functions?

Solving cylindrical coordinate equations with delta functions has many practical applications in physics and engineering. Some examples include calculating the electric or magnetic fields around a charged or current-carrying wire, determining the stress and strain on a cylindrical object, and analyzing the flow of fluids in a pipe. These equations can also be used to model more complex systems, such as tornadoes or vortices in fluid dynamics.