1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE problem

1. Aug 30, 2006 #1
    hello, can you guys give me a good resource(websites, etc) on how to solve this type of problem?

The thing is, I'm not sure what methods are appropriate for solving this problem. I believe this is a PDE problem involving the Wave equation, but I don't know how to start.

I would like to say though, I'm not really well-versed in PDEs, I'm good with ODEs and I am familiar with the basic concepts of PDE.

Do I need to know Green's function or Fourier transforms to solve the problem below (so that I would know if I would need to study them)

Consider the function Y defined by

Y(x,t) = 1, if |x| <= t, Y(x,t) = 0 if |x|> t or t<= 0.

For any [tex]\phi \in \mathfrak{D} (\mathbb{R}^{2})[/tex] (where [tex]\mathfrak{D}[/tex] means functions which are continuously differentiable with compact support)

solve for

[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}}\int_{\mathbb{R}}Y(x,t) (\frac{\partial^{2}\phi}{\partial t^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}\phi}{\partial x^{2}}) (x,t) dx dt[/tex]
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?