1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE problems

1. May 1, 2006 #1
    there's something about these PDE:s that I dont understand, cant find out how it really works. Here comes a problem that we can discuss.

2 equal 0.2m think iron plates got the temperatures 100 and 0 degree C from the beginning. At the time t = 0 are these 2 plates laid next to eachother. Calculate the temperature where the plates touch after 10min (a_iron = 1.5*10^-5 m^2/s)

the hints in the book says:

du/dt - a d^2u/dx^2 = 0
    u(0,t) = u(0.4,t) = 0
    u(x,0) = 100 0<x<0.2
    u(x,0) = 0 0.2<x<0.4

that sounds fair to me, but then they continue with, " Hopfully we reckognice the room-operator and know which eigenfunctions we have. If so we can directly try with a sinus serie and get the solution

u(x,t) = 200/pi sum( (1-cos(k*pi/2))/k * exp( -ak^2pi^2*t/0.16) * sin(k*pi*x/0.4)"

how do we get this?

I mean, with the Stum Liouville operator we write it as A = -d^2/dt^2 so we get

du/dt + aAu = 0
    and A*fi_k = lamda_k * fi_k
    where we assume that the solution looks like u(x,t)= sum(u_k(t)*fi_k(x))
    and that u_k(t) = (fi_k|s)/(fi_k|fi_k) * exp(-a*lamda_k*t)

(|) is the scalar product and s is u(x,0).

when I calculate fi_k I get fi_k = sin(alfa_k*x) where alfa_k = k*pi/0.4
    and lamda_k = alfa_k^2

but how do I get u_k(t). with the methos I know it depends on u(x,0). And here I got 2 values for that. I probably could write u(x,0) with heaviside, but I have no ide on how to take the scalar product then, so I choose not to :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Room operator"? I wonder if that isn't a mis-translation of something like "space-operator", i.e the derivative with respect to the space variable x?

In any case, you could approach this by "separation of variables"- look for a function of the form u(x,t)= A(x)B(t). Then u_xx= A"B and u_t= AB' so the equation becomes AB'- aA"B= 0. Write that as AB'= aA"B and divide both sides by AB: B'/B= aA"/A.
    Now, what can k be? If k= 0, then A"= 0 which has general solution A(x)= Cx+ D. The only way that could be 0 at two different points is if C= 0 and D= 0 which gives A(x)= 0 for all x (the "trivial" solution).
    If k<0, write k= u2 with u a positive number. The equation is aA"= -u2x and the general solution is A(x)= Ceux/a+ De-ux/a. Now A(x)= C+ D= 0 and A(0.4)= Ce0.4u/a+ De-0.4u/a= 0. From C+ D= 0, we get D= -C. Putting that into Ce0.4u/a+ De-0.4u/a= 0 and factoring out the C gives C(e0.4u/a- e-0.4/a)= 0. But e0.4u/a is greater than 1 while e-0.4/a is less than 1 so the quantity in parentheses can't be 0: We must haved C= 0 and then D= 0. Again, we have only the "trivial" solution A(x)= 0.

If k< 0, write k= -u2 so the equation is aA"= -u2.
    The general solution to that is A(x)= C cos(ux/a)+ D sin(ux/a). A(0)= C= 0 and A(0.4)= D sin(.4u/a)= 0. In order that D NOT be 0 (so we get a non-trivial solution) we must have .4u/a equal to a multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex]: that is, [itex]u= \frac{na\pi}{0.4}[/itex].

We say that [itex]k= \left(\frac{na\pi}{0.4}\right)^2[/itex] is an eigenvalue of the problem and [itex]sin(\frac{na\pix}{0.4}t[/itex] is an eigenvector or eigenfunction of the problem.

Once we know that k must be of the form [itex]\left(\frac{na\pi}{0.4}\right)^2[/itex], the equation for B(t) must be [tex]B'(t)= \left(\frac{na\pi}{0.4}\right)^2B[/itex] and has solutions
    [tex]B(t)= e^{\left(\frac{na\pi}{0.4}\right)^2t}[/itex] .
    Putting those together,
    [tex]u(x,t)= Ce^{\left(\frac{na\pi}{0.4}\right)^2t}sin(\frac{na\pix}{0.4}[/tex] is a solution and the general solution is a sum of things like that.

What they mean when they say "Hopfully we recognise the space-operator and know which eigenfunctions we have. If so we can directly try with a sine series" (I have corrected the English. That's not a criticism of you- you should see my (put the language of your choice here)!) is that when we see y" we immediately think of the eigenvector equation y"= ky and don't have to repeat what I just did above- we know what that the eigenvalues are what I gave and the eigenvector is a sine function.

No, exponentials are one-to-one functions and cannot be 0 at two different values of x. As I showed above, lambda_k must be negative and the solutions are sine and cosine functions.

4. May 2, 2006 #3
    Hmm, You probably mean k>0 when you write k= u^2. (or maby you mean k>0 at the third case, but I figured this was more likely)

Where do you get aA"= -u^2x from then? from my point of view I would say it should be aA"/A = u^2, where do you get the x and - from? And why does the /A dissapear? I would say I get a D.E that looks like aA'' - Au^2=0.

And I get kind of nervous when you dont like the method I tought were correct, with Sturm Liouville and calculating scalar products. Is that totaly wrong? Separation of variables were last weeks method, this week we use SL :) I mean with my method I got sin(k*pi*x/0.4) and that looks kind of close to what you got.

5. May 3, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm more used to A"+ kA= 0 than A"= kA so, yes, I'm sure I got + and - confused.

That was a typo. aA"/A= u^2 is the same as aA"= u^2A. (or aA"= -u^2A in the case that k is negative.

Sturm-Liouville problems include the boundary conditions- you didn't do that here at the point I was criticizing. You were writing the solutions in terms of exponentials and my point was that exponentials can't make the function equal to 0 at the endpoints. Other than the fact that you are using k where I was using n (and the "minor" detail that I left out the x!)
    your solution sin(k*pi*x/0.4) is exactly what I had.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?