1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE semi-infinite strip

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    Hi can someone please help me work through the following question. It is the two dimensional Laplace equation in a semi-infinite strip.

[tex]
    \frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial x^2 }} + \frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial y^2 }} = 0,0 < x < a,0 < y < \infty
    [/tex]

The boundary conditions along the edges are u(0,y) = 0, u(a,y) = 0 and u(x,0) = f(x) where f(x) is some prescribed function.

With my limited experience in dealing with PDEs at first glance I don't think there is enough information to even get to an expression for u(x,y) in terms of f(x) but I'll try this anyway.

Let [tex]u\left( {x,y} \right) = X\left( x \right)Y\left( y \right)[/tex] then

[tex]
    \frac{{X''\left( x \right)}}{{X\left( x \right)}} = - \frac{{Y''\left( y \right)}}{{Y\left( y \right)}} = - \lambda
    [/tex]

I have set the separation constant to be negative lambda because the boundary conditions suggest that I'll first need to work with the ODE in X(x).

The ODE in X(x) I get is

[tex]X''\left( x \right) + \lambda X\left( x \right) = 0[/tex] with X(0) = 0, X(a) = 0.

Dirichlet BCs so lambda is positive which gives me

[tex]
    X\left( x \right) = A\cos \left( {\sqrt \lambda x} \right) + B\sin \left( {\sqrt \lambda x} \right)
    [/tex]

The first BC implies A = 0 and avoiding trivial solutions the other BC yields the eigenvalues:

[tex]
    \lambda _n = \left( {\frac{{n\pi }}{a}} \right)^2
    [/tex] where n is a natural number.

The corresponding eigenfunctions are [tex]X_n \left( x \right) = B\sin \left( {\frac{{n\pi x}}{a}} \right)[/tex]

The ODE in Y(y) is:

[tex]
    Y''\left( y \right) - \lambda _n Y\left( y \right) = 0
    [/tex]

Since lambda is positive [tex]Y_n \left( y \right) = C\cosh \left( {\sqrt {\lambda _n } y} \right) + D\sinh \left( {\sqrt {\lambda _n } y} \right)[/tex].

[tex]
    u_n \left( {x,y} \right) = X_n \left( x \right)Y_n \left( y \right)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    u_n \left( {x,y} \right) = \left[ {a_n \cosh \left( {\sqrt {\lambda _n } y} \right) + b_n \sinh \left( {\sqrt {\lambda _n } y} \right)} \right]\sin \left( {\frac{{n\pi x}}{a}} \right)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    u\left( {x,y} \right) = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left[ {a_n \cosh \left( {\sqrt {\lambda _n } y} \right) + b_n \sinh \left( {\sqrt {\lambda _n } y} \right)} \right]\sin \left( {\frac{{n\pi x}}{a}} \right)}
    [/tex]

The only other bit of information I have left is u(x,0) = f(x) so I try that to see what happens. But that just tells me that

[tex]
    f\left( x \right) = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {a_n \sin \left( {\frac{{n\pi x}}{a}} \right)}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    a_n = \frac{2}{a}\int\limits_0^a {f\left( x \right)} \sin \left( {\frac{{n\pi x}}{a}} \right)dx
    [/tex]

So that gives me a_n but what about b_n? I really don't know how to proceed. Can someone please help me out? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

You need to specify the B.C.'s as y->infinity. Probably they want the function to vanish, in which case you don't want to use sinh y and cosh y but instead e^y and e^-y, and only the e^-y terms will survive.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  4. Sep 17, 2006 #3
    Yeah I think the BC for y going to infinity is missing but I think the condition is usually as you said, u tends to zero and y gets large. In that case I can rewrite the sinh and cosh in terms of exponentials and simply set the appropriate constants to be equal to zero. Thanks for the pointers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?