1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE Separating Variables for 3d spherical wave equation

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Just need someone else to double check more work. I just want to know if I'm separating these variables correctly.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial t^2} = c^2\nabla^2u[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Allow [itex]u(\rho, \theta, \phi, t) = T(t)\omega(\rho, \theta, \phi)[/itex]

where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the radius, [itex]\theta[/itex] is the cylindrical angle and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the azimuthal angle. Then, separating the time dependent variable is as follows,

[tex]\frac{T''(t)}{c^2T(t)} = \frac{\nabla^2\omega}{\omega} = -\lambda[/tex]

From this, I know the time dependent ODE. The problem I'm having is with the spacial variable separation. Now we have,

[tex]\nabla^2\omega = -\lambda\omega[/tex]

Allow [itex]\omega(\rho, \theta, \phi) = P(\rho)\Theta(\theta)\Phi(\phi)[/itex], then we get

[tex]\frac{\Theta\Phi}{\rho^2}\frac{d}{d\rho}(\rho^2 \frac{dP}{d\rho}) + \frac{P\Theta}{\rho^2sin\phi}\frac{d}{d\phi}(sin \phi \frac{d\Phi}{d\phi}) + \frac{P\Phi}{\rho^2sin^2\phi}\frac{d^2\Theta}{d \theta^2} + \lambda P\Theta\Phi = 0[/tex]

By dividing by [itex]\frac{P\Theta\Phi}{\rho^2sin^2 \phi}[/itex], we can isolate the theta variable and move it to the other side of the equation, this introduces a seperation constant, [itex]\mu[/itex]. We get:

[tex]\frac{sin^2 \phi}{P}\frac{d}{d\rho}(\rho^2 \frac{dP}{d\rho}) + \frac{sin \phi}{\Phi}\frac{d}{d\phi}(sin \phi \frac{d\Phi}{d\phi}) + \lambda\rho^2 sin^2 \phi = -\frac{d^2\Theta}{d \theta^2} = \mu[/tex]

Solving the theta ODE (with periodic BC) gives [itex]\mu = m^2, m = 0, 1, 2, ...[/itex]

and we can move on to the next step, namely, finding our ODEs for rho and phi.

[tex]\frac{sin^2 \phi}{P}\frac{d}{d\rho}(\rho^2 \frac{dP}{d\rho}) + \frac{sin \phi}{\Phi}\frac{d}{d\phi}(sin \phi \frac{d\Phi}{d\phi}) + \lambda\rho^2 sin^2 \phi - m^2 = 0[/tex]

Divide by [itex]sin^2 \phi[/itex] and shuffle equations to get the rho and phi dependent ODEs with seperation constant [itex]\nu[/itex]

[tex]\frac{1}{P}\frac{d}{d\rho}(\rho^2 \frac{dP}{d\rho}) + \lambda\rho^2 = -\frac{1}{sin \phi \Phi}\frac{d}{d\phi}(sin \phi \frac{d\Phi}{d\phi}) + \frac{m^2}{sin^2 \phi} = \nu[/tex]

Finally, we end up with our ODEs for rho and phi,

[tex]\frac{d}{d\rho}(\rho^2 \frac{dP}{d\rho}) + (\lambda\rho^2 - \nu)P = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{d\phi}(sin \phi \frac{d\Phi}{d\phi}) + (-\nu sin \phi - \frac{m^2}{sin \phi})\Phi = 0[/tex]

I have a couple questions about this, it seems that I have a couple signs mixed up (compared to my book (Haberman)) and I don't know if I have done this entirely correctly. I greatly value your responses. Thank you!

- Tony

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted