Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE solution uniqueness

1. Jun 8, 2009 #1
    Hi All,

I am dealing with the heat equation these days and in an attack of originality I thought I would find a new solution to it, namely

(dT/dt)=d^2T/dx^2

has a solution of the type

T(x,t) = ax^2+2t

Now, I do not know much about the existence and uniqueness of PDE solutions, but for some reason I though the existence of solution other than the one found by, e.g., variable sepration, was refused for this PDE. The Cauchy -Kowalewskaya theorem does not say much, it seems to me, until the boundary considtions are fixed.

Does anybody has a clear grasp on the matter, for which I would be the most grateful?

Many thanks

Regards

Muzialis

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uniqueness only applies to well posed problems. A PDE without boundary conditions is ill posed.

For a given PDE without boundary conditions, there are either infinitely many solutions or no solutions.

You should also note that in your case your solution is only a valid solution if a = 1.

(Moving to the Mathematics forums)

4. Jun 8, 2009 #3
    Hootenanny,

thank you for your valuable reply.

Best Regards

Muzialis

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook