1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE solution

1. Aug 19, 2010 #1
    Hi, I'm doing some research on my own, but my math is pretty bad and I am stuck trying to find the solution to this problem:
    (1/r) ∂/∂r (r√(C/r))=

I've seen these solutions of similar-looking problems:
    (1/r) ∂/∂r (r^2 (Ω))=2Ω
    (1/r) ∂/∂r (r K/r)=0, except when r=0, in which case the solution is infinite.

Thank you very much!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2010 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Usually equations have something on both sides of the equal sign...:wink:
  4. Aug 19, 2010 #3
    Hi, sorry, guess the thing on the other side would matter. It happens to be vorticity or, in cylindrical coordinates, ω_z.
  5. Aug 19, 2010 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What coordinate variables does the vorticity depend on (i.e. does it depend on [itex]r[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex] and/or[itex]z[/itex])?
  6. Aug 19, 2010 #5
    Out of the 3 cylindrical coordinates, there is only vortical motion wrt z, which motion is dependent on r, as the equation shows, I think.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  7. Aug 19, 2010 #6
    I've been still looking at the problem too, and I think I noticed that in the example solution I gave:
    ωz = (1/r) ∂/∂r (ruφ ) = (1/r) ∂/∂r (r2Ω) = 2Ω

it seems as though it was solved like a regular differential equation using only the rule for the derivative of powers:
    If f(x)=xn, then f'(x)=nxn-1

Can I just do that to solve mine, too, in which case, I would get f'(x)=(1/2)r-1/2 to give me:
    ωz = C1/2/2rr1/2?
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook