1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE textbook recommendation

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    I'll be taking PDE this coming Fall semester, and I want to have a head start by doing some self studying this summer. What's a good textbook you would recommend for PDE?
    (the official textbook in my university is "Beginning Partial Differential Equations" by Peter O'Neil but I've heard nothing but bad things about it, and online reviews trashes it)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2
    What kind of PDE class is it?

I liked Haberman's Applied Partial Differential Equations (link). I looked over the ToC of the book you mentioned and it seems fairly close to this one (though Haberman covers some additional topics like Green's functions). I think it's a good introduction to the physical (applied) side of PDEs and found it pretty easy to read.

4. Jun 13, 2012 #3
    Only one suggestion? I guess there aren't that many good PDE books out there huh.

Thanks theorem4.5.9, appreciate it. Good thing my university's library carries this book so I can check it out for a while first before I buy it.
    Thanks again!

5. Jun 13, 2012 #4
    "Basic Partial Differential Equations".

It actually proves things, unlike Haberman's.

6. Jun 13, 2012 #5

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Farlow, PDE for Scientists and Engineers is a nice book to learn from. It covers the material, has lots of examples, and is targeted at scientists and engineers rather than mathematicians. (I assume this is your desire since you inquired at Physics Forums!) It is a Dover book, so it is quite inexpensive. Highly recommended...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook