What is the closed form expression for f(a,b,n)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a function through a partial differential equation (PDE) and the possibility of finding a closed form expression for the function. One participant suggests reducing the problem to solving a simpler equation and another participant shares the solution as a definite integral. There is also a mention of evaluating the function at specific values to check the result.
MAGNIBORO
hi, I do not know much about PDEs and programs like wolfram alpha and maple don't give me a solution.
it is possible to calculate the function through PDE?.
I would appreciate any help

$$\frac{\partial }{\partial a}f(a,b,n)+\frac{\partial }{\partial b}f(a,b,n)=-n f(a,b,n+1)$$

$$f(a,b,0)=\frac{\pi }{2} \: \; \, \,, \, \, \, f(a,b,1)=\frac{\pi }{2\sqrt{a b}}$$as we know ##f(a,b,1)## We can calculate ##f(a,b,2)\,,\,f(a,b,3),...##

But we could calculate closed form expression for ##f(a,b,n)## ?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i reduce the problem to solve
$$\frac{\partial }{\partial c} \, g_{n}(c) = -n \, g_{n+1}(c)$$
with
$$g_{1}(c)=\frac{\pi }{2\sqrt{c^{2}+c}}$$

Do you need the result for all c?

Strum said:
Do you need the result for all c?
i found the solution, The function was the result of a definite integral.
thanks anyway :thumbup::thumbup:

Well if you found the solution I would like to see it. Please post it :)

the function is:
$$\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi }{2}}\left ( a \, cos^2(x) +b \, sin^2(x) \right )^{-n}$$

Ehh but this is not dependent on c as specified in post number 2.

evaluate the function as ##f(c,c+1,n)## and check

1. What is a PDE with recursive relation?

A PDE (partial differential equation) with recursive relation is a type of differential equation that involves a function and its derivatives with respect to multiple independent variables, where the function appears on both sides of the equation in a recursive manner. This means that the function is defined in terms of itself, making it a self-referencing equation.

2. How is a PDE with recursive relation different from a regular PDE?

A PDE with recursive relation is different from a regular PDE because it involves a recursive relationship between the function and its derivatives. This means that the solution to the equation requires the use of recursive methods, as opposed to traditional methods used for solving regular PDEs.

3. What are some examples of PDEs with recursive relation?

Some examples of PDEs with recursive relation include the heat equation, the wave equation, and the Laplace equation. These equations involve the function and its derivatives in a recursive relationship, and are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

4. What are the applications of PDEs with recursive relation?

PDEs with recursive relation have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used to model and analyze physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, wave propagation, and diffusion. They are also used in the development of numerical methods for solving PDEs and in the study of complex systems.

5. How do you solve a PDE with recursive relation?

Solving a PDE with recursive relation involves using recursive methods, such as the method of successive approximations or the method of characteristics. These methods involve taking the initial conditions and using them to iteratively approximate the solution to the equation. Alternatively, numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, can also be used to solve PDEs with recursive relation.