Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDF in Windows 10

1. Jul 31, 2016 #1
    I've got this default PDF file opener in Windows 10 that drives me nuts. Every time I activate the cursor to navigate the page these banners drop in from the top and side and it's just irritating. I don't know how to change the default PDF app, though. I'd like to just change it so when I clicked on a PDF link on a webpage, it would open up in the adobe app. Any help?

Edit: I guess it's not Windows 10, it's Google chrome, because I just tried it in Firefox and it was a different PDF app. So I guess the more general question is how to you change it within a browser?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2016 #2
    Have you downloaded and installed Adobe Reader?

4. Jul 31, 2016 #3
    Yes, but when I click on a link inside the chrome browser, it doesn't open it up in the adobe app, it opens it up in another one, and I don't know how to change it. I can download the file and then open it up in Adobe Reader, but I'd rather not have to download a file a re-open it every time. I seem to remember in days past being able to click on a PDF link and have it open in an adobe browser window.

The point may be moot, though, because the default PDF app that opens in the Firefox window I like (I don't think it's Adobe), but it would still be nice to know how to change the default in the Chrome browser.

5. Jul 31, 2016 #4
  6. Jul 31, 2016 #5
    Thanks for the links, but the second one I held out high hope for and it didn't give me an option to switch to acrobat. Inspired, though, I ran a similar search and found this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/pdf-browser-plugin-configuration.html

"Chrome and Acrobat are no longer compatible. For more information, see Change in support for Acrobat and Reader plug-ins in modern web browsers."

So there you have it. I may just have to look for a 3rd party solution or just open up the file in Firefox which is probably easier.

7. Aug 1, 2016 #6

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted