Discussing DjVu: Benefits and Challenges

• Thread starter DivGradCurl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of DjVu, an alternative to PDF files that offers better performance but may not be as popular. The conversation also mentions a question about converting from .tex to .djvu format, with one person suggesting using dvi instead. It is also noted that DjVu is primarily used for image compression and is not related to PDF.
DivGradCurl
Hello guys!

I've just learned about DjVu on a website (http://www.djvuzone.org/wid/). It is an alternative to bulky PDF files, and presents an unparalleled performance. However, I believe it is not as popular; it may be the only drawback there is to it. Maybe it is just me. Well, I'd like to hear the opinion of you guys about that...

One more question: does anyone know a way to get from .tex straight to .djvu ? Or, it can only be done by printing a .pdf file into this format?

Regards

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've never heard of the DJVU, or any way of compiling TeX source to DJVU. You might want to look into dvi, which is what LaTeX renders to by default. Compared to PDF's the size of dvi is minimal, at best.

DjVu is in no way related to PDF. DjVu does image compression, while PDF is a portable document model. Once you compress an image with DjVu there is no way to edit text and search the document.

1. What is DjVu?

DjVu is a digital image file format used for storing scanned documents, images, and books. It was developed by AT&T Labs in the late 1990s as an alternative to the popular PDF format.

2. What are the benefits of using DjVu?

There are several benefits of using DjVu, including high compression ratios, good image quality, and the ability to store multiple pages in one file. DjVu files are also smaller in size compared to PDFs, making them easier to share and download.

3. What are the challenges of using DjVu?

One of the main challenges of using DjVu is that it is not as widely supported as other file formats like PDF. This can make it difficult to open and view DjVu files on certain devices or operating systems. Additionally, the compression algorithm used in DjVu can sometimes result in loss of quality in the images.

4. Can DjVu files be converted to other formats?

Yes, DjVu files can be converted to other formats such as PDF or JPEG. There are various online tools and software programs available for converting DjVu files to different formats.

5. Is DjVu a good choice for archiving documents?

Yes, DjVu is a good choice for archiving documents as it offers high compression ratios, making it easier to store and manage large numbers of files. However, it is important to consider the availability of DjVu viewers when choosing it as an archival format.