Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDFs for Discrete Data Set

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    I have a discrete set of data. I'd like to visualize it probabilistically. Unfortunately, I focused in Num Methods in grad school and am very weak in Probability. Where is a good place to start to visualize this data set using a discrete pdf?

I know a histagram is good to show # of occurrences for each outcome. I also know a cdf plot shows the probability of the outcome being less than some number. But when I start looking at plotting pdf's, there are many functions to choose from and I'm not sure how to go about choosing one, or translating that to a discrete data set rather than a continuous one.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2
    mkay so I know that I should make a histogram, normalize the histogram, and then fit a curve to the distribution then.

Now my question is, can I normalize my data before making a histogram, and will that process give me the probabilities on the y-axis?

4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    Yes, you can normalize before making a histogram. Suppose, for instance, that you have N measurements, which come as n distinct values x_1, x_2, ..., x_n with frequencies f_1, f_2, ..., f_n. The frequencies are positive integers that add up to N. If you divide each frequency by N, you now have (estimated) probabilities p_i for each x_i that add up to 1. When you make your histogram you'll be binning the x_i, and you get the probability of that bin by adding up all the p_i that go in it. That's the estimated probability of falling into that bin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook