Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering PE after Engineering Masters

  1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    Hi all, I was just wondering if it was possible to become a Professional Engineer after a Masters in Engineering but a Bachelors in some other related field, like Mathematics or Physics. I am an undergrad student, still debating whether I should complete a BS in physics or obtain an engineering degree. Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2
    I don't see why not; worst case is that it would depend what area of engineering you get your masters in.
  4. Aug 11, 2010 #3
    I think if I were to do that, I would most definitely try to get into an Electrical Engineering program. I want to take engineering courses as my electives in undergrad however; my university requires for a student to be enrolled in an engineering program to take an engineering class. They won`t have it any other way... T_T
  5. Aug 11, 2010 #4


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    One can obtain a PE at any time after a BS degree in engineering and with some experience. There are educational and experience requirements. Usually one gets a 4 year degree in an accredited engineering program. One then takes the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) or what used to be the EIT (Engineering in Training). Hopefully one gets some experience, then one takes the PE exam. One can get the PE before or after an MS or PhD.

    http://www.ncees.org/Licensure/Licensure_for_engineers.php [Broken]

    http://www.ncees.org/Audience_Landing_Pages/Engineers.php [Broken]

    http://www.ncees.org/Exams.php [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Aug 11, 2010 #5
    Well, my initial question was that if I DIDN'T have a BS in engineering but pursued a MASTERS in engineering, would I be eligible to write the PE examination? Note: BS in Mathematics or Physics, and MS in Engineering.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Aug 11, 2010 #6


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    Ordinarily one needs a degree in engineering or experience working as an engineer usually under the supervision of a PE. The engineering degree counts as experience. Getting an MS in engineering would help.

    Check out the NCEES website and contact the appropriate licensing office in your state of residence, or where you plan to practice as an engineer, and get information on licensing requirements.

    See also - http://www.nspe.org/index.html
  8. Aug 12, 2010 #7
    It will vary based on the state licensing laws, which will vary. That's the best place to get your answer.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook