1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pe and Ke problem

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    A block of mass m and height h slides without friction up a hill rise of height (3/2)h as shown. In order to make it to the top of the hill, the block must have a minimum initial speed of:

Pe+Ke = Pe(f) + Ke(f)

I tried figuring out what the velocity of the block would be if it had slid down the hill. I was assuming it would require that amount of velocity to go back up the hill (maybe I assumed wrong). The answer listed is (3gh)^1/2 However my answer was (2gh)^1/2. The block has a height h but I don't understand why the size of the block should matter. Nor do I have any idea of how to incorporate that fact into my equation, please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please don't use a bold font when posting a thread.

You're right that the height of the block doesn't matter.

Check you algebra.

Show your work.

4. Nov 5, 2012 #3
    Um, when you start a thread it says (without the forward / in the beginning):

[/b]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

[/b]2. Relevant equations[/b]

[/b]3. The attempt at a solution[/b]

So, the site is asking me to put it in bold, that's why I did it.

In any case here is my algebra in steps:

mgh = 1/2mV^2 (mass'es cancel)
    gh=1/2V^2 (multiply both sides by 2)
    2gh=V^2 (square both sides)
    V=2gh^1/2

5. Nov 5, 2012 #4
    The answer suggest that it was raised to a height of 3/2 h. So the bottom of the block was raised up to the top of the hill then.

6. Nov 5, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. The site assumes that you leave its titles alone and in bold, then after the title you put in your text -- not in bold.

As follows:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m and height h slides without friction up a hill rise of height (3/2)h as shown. In order to make it to the top of the hill, the block must have a minimum initial speed of:

2. Relevant equations
    Pe+Ke = Pe(f) + Ke(f)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried figuring out what the velocity of the block would be if it had slid down the hill. I was assuming it would require that amount of velocity to go back up the hill (maybe I assumed wrong). The answer listed is (3gh)^1/2 However my answer was (2gh)^1/2. The block has a height h but I don't understand why the size of the block should matter. Nor do I have any idea of how to incorporate that fact into my equation, please help.
    I fully understand why you did post in bold.
    The hill has a rise of (3/2)h so that should be

mg((3/2)h) = 1/2mV^2 ,

so all will work out fine.

7. Nov 5, 2012 #6
    Right I noticed what I did wrong when I was going to sleep, I must have been tired. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook