Exploring the Dichotomy of Peace and Violence in Euripides' The Bacchae

• Thread starter 0TheSwerve0
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation explores the relationship between peace and violence in religion, specifically in the play "The Bacchae" by Euripides. The play depicts a contrast between scenes of peace and violence, with the god Dionysus being portrayed as both a bringer of peace and a source of violence. Frenzy and drunkenness are depicted as gifts from the gods, and those who resist or reject them are portrayed as ignorant and brutal. The conversation also touches on the role of women and the setting of the play in relation to the themes of peace and violence.
0TheSwerve0
This forum seems to be getting kind of stale...and this is my idea of sprucing it up.:biggrin: Hopefully this will get at least a few responses. I ask, what is the relation between peace and violence in religion? Specifically, in http://classics.mit.edu/Euripides/bacchan.html" . I'm interested in examing this story, so please refrain from bringing in other examples unless they support something you've pulled out of The Bacchae.

Throughout the play, we confront visions of peace, Messenger: "Breasts swollen with milk, new mothers who had left their babies at home nestled gazelles and young wolves in their arms, suckling them. They then crowned their hair with leaves, ivy and oak and flowering bryony." (Lines 698-702)
Which inevitably transition into scenes of violence, "It happened, however, that Agave ran near the ambush where I lay concealed. Leaping up, I tried to seize her, but she gave a cry: "Hounds who run with me, me are hunting us down! Follow, follow me! Use your wands for weapons." (Lines 729-733)"

Chorus: "The deity, the son of Zeus, in feast, in festival delights. He loves the goddess Peace, generous of good, prserver of the young. To rich and poor he gives the simple gift of wine, the gladness of the grape. But him who scoffs he hates, and him who mocks his life..." (Lines 416-25)

Another recurring theme is that of the equating of frenzy with godliness. Some lines imply that frenzy and drunkeness is a gift of the gods that relieves suffering, "Whoever this god may be, sire, welcome him to Thebes. For he is great in many other ways as well. It was he, or so they say, who gave to mortal men the gift of lovely wine by which our suffering is stopped." (Lines 769-773)

Cadmus: "Where shall we go, where shall we tread the dance, tossing our white heads in the dances of gods?" (Lines 183-184)

Teiresias: "For filled with that good gift, suffering mankind forgets its grief; from it comes sleep; with it oblivion of the troubles of the day. There is no other medicine for misery. And when we pour libations to the gods, we pour the god of wine himself through his intercession man may win the favor of heaven." (Lines 279-285)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing about the greeks; they never asserted the big poicture was nicer than the little picture we observe. And they cut their mythology to fit their experience. You have given us one example and I will mention another; the gods fighting in the human war in Book 10 of the Iliad. The gods are just as blindly, stupidly, impassioned in battle as the humans. Compare to the prettied up war in Heaven in Paradise Lost.

Yeah, I was really just talking about in this story, not about Greek plays/epic poems in general. I'm only interested in the question in order to explore this particular play. Examing Pentheus in particular is important. He's one of the only (or the only, can't remember) characters in the play that doesn't let loose, and who seems threatened by the frenzied dancy and drunken revelling of the Dionysus and his followers. The role of women is another angle we could come at it. Or the setting of the revellers (the countryside/mountains) vs the setting of the resistor(s) (the city). The intro addresses the two kinds of sophia (which has multiple meanings and connotations including wisdom, cleverness) displayed, and how Pentheus' sophia turns into its opposite amathia (ignorance which leads to brutality and violence). I linked the play in my first post for anyone who doesn't have it on hand.

Last edited:

What is the relationship between religion and violence?

The relationship between religion and violence is complex and multifaceted. While religion has often been used to justify and perpetuate acts of violence, it is not the sole cause of violence. Other factors such as political, economic, and social conditions also play a significant role in fueling violence. Additionally, many religious teachings emphasize principles of peace, love, and compassion, and many religious individuals and organizations actively work towards promoting peace and non-violent solutions.

How has religion been used to justify violence?

Throughout history, religion has been used to justify violence in various ways. Some religious texts and doctrines contain passages that condone or even encourage violence against certain groups or individuals. In some cases, religious leaders have manipulated religious teachings to justify their own political or personal agendas. Additionally, religion has often been used to create a sense of "us vs. them" mentality, leading to violence against those who are perceived as different or as a threat to one's beliefs.

What are some examples of religious violence?

There have been numerous examples of religious violence throughout history and around the world. Some notable examples include the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, and the religious conflicts in the Middle East. More recent examples include acts of terrorism committed in the name of religion and hate crimes targeting individuals based on their religious identity.

Can religion also promote peace?

Yes, religion can also promote peace. Many religious teachings emphasize principles of love, compassion, and non-violence. In some cases, religious leaders and organizations have played key roles in promoting peace and reconciliation in conflict zones. Furthermore, religion can provide individuals with a sense of community and belonging, which can be a source of support and comfort during times of conflict and violence.

How can we address the issue of violence in religion?

Addressing the issue of violence in religion requires a multi-faceted approach. This includes promoting education and critical thinking to challenge extremist interpretations of religious teachings, addressing underlying social and economic issues that contribute to violence, and promoting interfaith dialogue and understanding. It is also important for religious leaders to actively denounce and condemn acts of violence committed in the name of their religion and to promote peaceful and non-violent solutions to conflicts.