Balancing Peace Corps Service and Graduate School: Pros and Cons

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is advisable to join the Peace Corps before going to graduate school. While it can be a valuable and life-changing experience, it may not be worth it if the sole purpose is to boost one's resume. However, if the individual genuinely wants to join and is willing to take the time to refresh their knowledge before returning to school, it can be a beneficial experience. Additionally, the Peace Corps offers opportunities to gain skills and experiences that may be relevant to one's field of study. Ultimately, it is important to carefully consider one's motivations and readiness before making a decision.
Helical
Is it advisable to go into the Peace Corps if you are planning on going to graduate school? Can it help or hinder you? It seems like you might forget information but at the same time it's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't go into the Peace Core just because you want to use it as resume fodder. Random resume items not at all related to your field of study in grad school will not be of that much use.

If you actually want to do it, then I say go for it. It could be the experience of a lifetime. Good Luck!

G01 said:
I wouldn't go into the Peace Core just because you want to use it as resume fodder. Random resume items not at all related to your field of study in grad school will not be of that much use.

I would think very few people would join the Peace Corps as a resume booster, and that's why I said it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. So it doesn't look good to have volunteer experience like this to graduate schools; does it look bad, will I forget everything learned as an undergraduate if I'm out of school for 2-4 years?

Well, it can't possibly look bad to have the Peace Corps on your resume. I'm just saying, if you were doing it only for the resume boost, then it wouldn't be worth it.

You may need to refresh yourself on some topics before you take up school again, but I don't think you'd forget everything. I think it'll definitely be possible.

It will certainly not hurt you. You just have to make sure you are ready to go back to school after a two year stint in a 3rd world nation. PC will give you some invaluable experiences. It will reduce and defer your student loans if that is an issue for you. It can help you brush up and or become fluent in a foreign language depending on where you work at. Also dependent on where you work, you may be able to do things slightly relevant to your studies. Many countries need help with computer stuff which may look good for you. Also many need help in engineering topics like water purification and environmental issues.

Also, there are plenty of other ways to help humanity other than the peace corps. I had looked into joining a few years back, but it was like signing up for the army; you had to stay for so long. I mean I know that the types of things you do take a lot of time, but I would have thought that they could have used me for 6-12 months, but they wanted years from me!

1. What are the requirements for joining the Peace Corps?

The requirements for joining the Peace Corps vary depending on the specific program and country you are interested in. Generally, you must be a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years old, and in good physical and mental health. You also need to have a college degree or relevant work experience in the field you wish to serve in. Additionally, there is a thorough application process that includes interviews, medical and legal clearances, and training.

2. Can I participate in the Peace Corps while attending graduate school?

Yes, it is possible to participate in the Peace Corps while attending graduate school. However, it can be challenging to balance the demands of both commitments. It is recommended to speak with your graduate program and the Peace Corps to discuss potential options and support systems that can help you succeed in both endeavors.

3. Does the Peace Corps offer any financial assistance for graduate school?

The Peace Corps offers several programs that provide financial assistance for graduate school. One program is the Coverdell Fellows Program, which offers financial assistance to returned Peace Corps volunteers who pursue graduate studies at participating universities. Additionally, the Paul D. Coverdell World Wise Schools program provides scholarships for Peace Corps volunteers to use towards graduate school expenses upon completion of their service.

4. How does serving in the Peace Corps benefit my graduate school application?

Serving in the Peace Corps can greatly benefit your graduate school application in several ways. It demonstrates your commitment to service and global citizenship, as well as your ability to adapt to new environments and work with diverse communities. It can also provide you with valuable skills and experiences that can enhance your academic and professional pursuits. Many graduate schools also offer specific programs and scholarships for returned Peace Corps volunteers.

5. Can I use my Peace Corps service as a research topic for my graduate studies?

Yes, you can use your Peace Corps service as a research topic for your graduate studies. Many returned Peace Corps volunteers have used their experiences and knowledge gained during their service as the basis for their graduate research. However, it is recommended to discuss this with your academic advisor and the Peace Corps to ensure that you have the necessary resources and support to conduct your research effectively.