1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peace Corp and Grad School?

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    Is it advisable to go into the Peace Corps if you are planning on going to graduate school? Can it help or hinder you? It seems like you might forget information but at the same time it's something I've wanted to do for a long time.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't go into the Peace Core just because you want to use it as resume fodder. Random resume items not at all related to your field of study in grad school will not be of that much use.

If you actually want to do it, then I say go for it. It could be the experience of a lifetime. Good Luck!
  4. Mar 25, 2008 #3
    I would think very few people would join the Peace Corps as a resume booster, and that's why I said it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. So it doesn't look good to have volunteer experience like this to graduate schools; does it look bad, will I forget everything learned as an undergraduate if I'm out of school for 2-4 years?
  5. Mar 25, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, it can't possibly look bad to have the Peace Corps on your resume. I'm just saying, if you were doing it only for the resume boost, then it wouldn't be worth it.

You may need to refresh yourself on some topics before you take up school again, but I don't think you'd forget everything. I think it'll definitely be possible.
  6. Mar 26, 2008 #5
    It will certainly not hurt you. You just have to make sure you are ready to go back to school after a two year stint in a 3rd world nation. PC will give you some invaluable experiences. It will reduce and defer your student loans if that is an issue for you. It can help you brush up and or become fluent in a foreign language depending on where you work at. Also dependent on where you work, you may be able to do things slightly relevant to your studies. Many countries need help with computer stuff which may look good for you. Also many need help in engineering topics like water purification and environmental issues.
  7. Mar 26, 2008 #6
    Also, there are plenty of other ways to help humanity other than the peace corps. I had looked into joining a few years back, but it was like signing up for the army; you had to stay for so long. I mean I know that the types of things you do take a lot of time, but I would have thought that they could have used me for 6-12 months, but they wanted years from me!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?