Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peace lesson

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    http://www.bndestem.nl/regio/breda/5534280/Streep-door-onthulling-vredesduif.ece [Broken]

The start of the peace week would have been added lustre to with the unveiling of a artistic sculpture of a *peace* pigeon. A high level event to attract attention to all aggression in the world and what to do against it. Unfortunately, it was cancelled due to a dispute.

It was agreed with the artist that the sculpture would have been placed on a 10 feet pole. However there were unmentioned second considerations later, which resulted in the construction of a much lower pedestal. The scuptor considered this an insult of his work and a breach of the agreement. The dispute was hot and accumulated in legal action and the judge ruled in favor of the artist. The sculpture will not be unveiled and the peace pigeon has been removed

What an exemplary lesson about peace at the start of the peace week. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2
    Yeah, When did pigeons become a symbol of peace? I thought that honor went to doves. I guess peace isn't cheap. A substitute that will return to its cage is preferrable.

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

There is no disctinction between pigeons and doves in many languages. For example in Polish they both translate to "gołąb".

Edit: to quote wikipedia:

5. Sep 19, 2009 #4
    Yes let's make more unpeace about doves and pigeons. I think it should be pigeon, because of the alliteration: Peace Pigeon.

6. Sep 19, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL! The artist was embarrassed about his pole being too short. :biggrin:

Good thing they didn't unveil the sculpture...can you imagine his reaction had any of the park pigeons found his peace pigeon? :rofl: (I'd have been encouraging the pigeons to the sculpture by feeding them all week in that spot...:devil:).

It's a pretty ugly looking pigeon anyway.

7. Sep 19, 2009 #6
    Well it should have been looking like this

http://www.bndestem.nl/multimedia/archive/01175/BS_8436743_8436743_1175951h.jpg [Broken]

http://www.bndestem.nl/regio/breda/5233969/Oorlogje-rond-Bredase-vredesduif.ece [Broken], of last month, it's all about the peace pigeon war, being in full progress then.

8. Sep 19, 2009 #7
    Well, peace is the sort of thing you want to get into a heated debate about. And, especially, to get upset enough about to pick up your pigeon and go home.

9. Sep 19, 2009 #8

turbo

Gold Member

I've got to say that's one ugly whirligig, and it bears no resemblance to a dove pigeon, etc. If someone wanted to install that "art" in my town, I would suggest a location below ground, not 10' above.

10. Sep 19, 2009 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks more like a penguin mated with a butterfly than a pigeon. Maybe it's for the best that the artist went home and took his pigeon with him. Spares the town another public eyesore. Who knows, maybe that WAS the point of putting it on a lower pole, when the people in charge realized the sculpture was really ugly.

11. Sep 19, 2009 #10
    :rofl: It really does!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook