Finding the Peak Value of Current: A Puzzling Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the peak value of current using polar form and the correct answer being 12.0 A, not 8.4853 A as stated in the solution key. The mistake is resolved and it is clarified that the 120 is the peak voltage and the 14.12 ohms is the impedance, resulting in a peak current of 8.485 amps.
temaire

Homework Statement

Determine the peak value of current of:

[tex]\underline{I} = \frac{120\angle0^0}{10+j10}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I change this into polar form and got:

[tex]\underline{I} = 12.0 \angle -45^0[/tex]

Therefore, the peak value of the current should be 12.0 A. However, the solution key says 8.4853 A. How can this be so?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just confirmed with my prof that the solution was wrong. The answer is 12.0 A.

Mods, you can lock this thread.

I like the old answer better.

The bottom part of the fraction has a magnitude of SQRT( 200) or 14.12.

Divide 120 by this to get 8.485.

vk6kro said:
I like the old answer better.

The bottom part of the fraction has a magnitude of SQRT( 200) or 14.12.

Divide 120 by this to get 8.485.

But you would have to change that to polar form to get the peak current.

No,

The 120 is already the peak voltage and the 14.12 ohms is the impedance so the peak current is 120 / 14.142 or 8.485 amps.

1. What is the significance of finding the peak value of current?

The peak value of current is an important measurement in electrical circuits as it indicates the maximum amount of current flowing through a circuit. This information is crucial for determining the capacity and efficiency of a circuit, as well as identifying potential issues such as overloading or short circuits.

2. How is the peak value of current calculated?

The peak value of current is typically calculated by taking the highest recorded value of current in a given time period. This can be done using specialized equipment such as an oscilloscope or by analyzing data from a current sensor.

3. What factors can affect the peak value of current in a circuit?

There are several factors that can impact the peak value of current in a circuit, including the resistance of the circuit, the type and quality of the components used, and the voltage applied. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

4. Why is finding the peak value of current sometimes a puzzling problem?

In some cases, finding the peak value of current can be challenging due to fluctuations in the current flow, variations in the circuit components, or difficulties in accurately measuring the current. Additionally, unexpected issues or malfunctions in the circuit can also make it difficult to determine the peak value of current.

5. How can the peak value of current be used in practical applications?

The peak value of current is a crucial measurement in the design and testing of electrical circuits. It can also be used in various industrial and commercial applications to monitor and control the flow of electricity, as well as in research and development for new technologies and innovations in the field of electronics.