Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peak point of a curve

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    i want to find the peak point of a quadratic bezier curve.
    one approach is finding all distance between "start point","any point on curve","end point"

and then choosing then maximum distance between them.
    but this approach get much time when implementing on computer
    is there any other approach?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

I think all you have to do is solve y' = 0, just like you do in a non-parametric equation. Here's the logic. A max or min will occur where dy/dx = 0. In a parametric equation x = f(t) and y = g(t), dy/dx = (dy/dt)(dt/dx) = y'/x'. If you find where y' = 0, that's also where dy/dx = 0, unless x' happens to be zero or infinity at the same location.

Since you are dealing with a quadratic bezier:

[tex]x = a_xt^2 + b_xt + c_x[/tex]
    [tex]y = a_yt^2 + b_yt + c_y[/tex]

then a max/min will occur at:

[tex]t = \frac{-0.5b_y}{a_y} = \frac{P_{y0} - P_{y1}}{P_{y0} -2P_{y1} + P_{y2}}[/tex]
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    but it gives me maximum-y point
    i also can use such formula to calculate maximum-x point
    but what i need is maximum point on curve (see below picture)

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4
    Think a bit. Try drawing lines x + y = c for different values of c.
  6. Sep 26, 2007 #5
    do you read my first post carefully?
    do your mean is such mine?
  7. Sep 26, 2007 #6
    I didn't clearly understand what you are saying :(

But I was trying to tell you that at max point the slope of curve is -1.
    Hope this helps.
  8. Sep 26, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't think temp made it very clear what he was asking for- in particular he never said what he meant by "peak" point. I too thought he meant "maximum y" but then he started talking about finding the maximum distance along the curve from some starting point. I can't connect that with any reasonable concept of "peak".

Oh, and I'm sure you meant to say, "at max point the slope of curve is 0", not 1!
  9. Sep 26, 2007 #8
    Actually, by max point I meant what temp was referring to as max point (the "?" in the figure). This max point is the point farthest from origin, lying on the curve, I suppose.
  10. Sep 26, 2007 #9
    that's true
    i marked "?" in my attached image to tell you what i need.
  11. Sep 26, 2007 #10
    So did you get my idea (at "?" slope is -1)
  12. Sep 26, 2007 #11

Homework Helper

Yeah, I thought peak meant maximum y. If it really means the distance to the curve from some reference point (x0, y0), then it seems to me the problem boils down to solving a cubic equation.

[tex]d^2 = (x - x_0)^2 + (y - y_0)^2[/tex]

Since x and y are quadratic in t, d2 is a 4th order equation in t. Taking the derivative and setting equal to zero involves solving a cubic equation, which can be done analytically or numerically. Or, am I not understanding something?
  13. Sep 27, 2007 #12
    You are absolutely correct. A bit of manipulation will end you up the same thing I was telling (slope = -1).
  14. Sep 27, 2007 #13
  15. Sep 27, 2007 #14

Homework Helper

I disagree, unless I'm totally not understanding what is going on. Look at this simple example: http://www.hostdump.com/uploads/212436219e.jpg

The maximum distance from (x0, y0) to the curve is a vertical line - the slope of the curve is zero,
    not -1. It is problem dependent. Certainly there are specific problems where it is true, but not in general.

What said before I believe is correct. Write the expression for distance from the reference point to the curve, take the derivative with respect to t, set = zero, and solve (the resulting cubic equation) for t. In the case of the specific posted example, t = 0.5, which means x = 0, y = -1.

[tex]d^2 = (x-x_0)^2 + (y-y_0)^2[/tex]

[tex]d(d^2)/dt = 0 = 2(x-x_0)x'+ 2(y-y_0)y' = (x-x_0)x'+ (y-y_0)y'[/tex]

[tex]0 = (a_xt^2+ b_xt + c_x - x_0)(2a_xt + b_x) + (a_yt^2+ b_yt + c_y - y_0)(2a_yt + by)[/tex]

[tex] 0=2t^3(a_x^2+a_y^2)+3t^2(a_xb_x+a_yb_y)+t(2a_xc_x-2a_xx_0+b_x^2+2a_yc_y-2a_yy_0+b_y^2)+b_xc_x-b_xx_0+b_yc_y-b_yy_0[/tex]

For the specific problem posted, the cubic to be solved is:

[tex]0 = 32t^3 - 48t^2 + 12t + 2[/tex]

The 3 solutions are:

[tex]t = (-0.112, 0.5, 1.112)[/tex]

There is only 1 value of t within the desired range of t=0,1 and that's t = 0.5, which is the point of maximum distance from (x0, y0). The other 2 values of t represent minimum distance.

Like I said before, the key to this problem is solving a cubic equation - that can be done analytically or numerically. Here is a more complicated example: http://www.hostdump.com/uploads/2c1856190f.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?