Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peanut butter warning

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2
    I love peanut butter, but so far my brand is not effected. Its been in the news here for several weeks, and most people have not been buying commercial products made with it. Its good to remind folks not to eat those packaged cookies and candies.

4. Jan 19, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I ate the peanut butter crackers that they have recalled. Is that why I was sick for a week recently? Some chat regulars might remember my immodium use. :grumpy:

5. Jan 19, 2009 #4
    Oh yes, I remember, if you have any more toss them out.

6. Jan 19, 2009 #5

wolram

Gold Member

By the cringe Evo, why did you eat the recalled crackers, did you mean you ate all the one's recalled locally?

7. Jan 19, 2009 #6

Evo

I was really busy at work, so instead of getting lunch, I just got a package of peanut butter crackers from the vending machine. I did this 3 times that week. Nausea and diarrhea all week.

8. Jan 19, 2009 #7

wolram

Gold Member

You should look after yourself better and take a packed lunch, those vending machines are just the biggest rob dogs.

9. Jan 19, 2009 #8

Evo

I was too tired after work to do anything. :frown: Then I got sick and was too sick to make lunch, so I bought more crackers. I was wondering why I was sick all week, that could explain it.

10. Jan 19, 2009 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So how dangerous is Salmonella?
    You get these announcements- all peanut butter may be infected, or all eggs may have traces of Salmonella.
    Assuming you aren't on chemo or are a boy in a bubble do you care?
    How much Salmonella does it really take to make you ill?

I've never had food poisoning beyond the, having to put the extractor fan in the bathroom level - and I can't believe that after this number of years of eating anything left in the fridge and general grad student living, I have never come in contact with it!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  11. Jan 19, 2009 #10

wolram

Gold Member

I think it all comes down to people being to clean these days, they just do not build up reistance to bugs.

12. Jan 19, 2009 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some people have more delicate digestive systems. Its alright if you have a cast iron stomach but obviously not for the 6 people who have died.

13. Jan 19, 2009 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It said 'may be a factor in 6 deaths', that can just mean a 90year old with congestive heart failure who died of pneumonia also had traces of salmonella - sad but not a killer epidemic.

I wasn't so much bragging about a cast iron stomach I was just wondering about the real vs perceived risk.
    Any outbreak in a commercial food operation is well publicised and results in a massive recall.
    Presumably standards there are much higher than in your kitchen at home, I have never worn a hairnet to make breakfast.
    Are there a large number of food poisoning deaths from cooking at home that don't make the news or is there some part of cooking on an industrial scale that makes food poisoning worse.

14. Jan 19, 2009 #13

Evo

Well, for me, I was sick, but not "go to the doctor" sick. It was strange that the symptoms would seem to ease and then hit hard over a period of a week. I took off a day and a half due to it, the rest of the time I wish I'd taken off. I polished off a large box of immodium. Ingesting small quantities over several days of something that made me ill makes sense in retrospect. It's probably coincidence, no telling how long ago those crackers were made. :tongue2:

According to this, it sounds like symptoms from salmonella are more of a nuisance than serious for otherwise healthy people.

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/salmonellosis_gi.html

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  15. Jan 19, 2009 #14

wolram

Gold Member

I can only say about where i work, a lot of our stuff uses fresh cream, food poisoning complaints are very few, out of every batch of products a few are sent for lab analysis,
    this is just to say the product was okay after leaving our factory.

16. Jan 19, 2009 #15

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know how it feels Evo. Sorry. I bet it's the last time you eat from that machine again.

17. Jan 20, 2009 #16
    Eww, I just had some peanut butter M&Ms today. I hope those weren't contaminated.

18. Jan 20, 2009 #17
    I thought it was about the Atheists Nightmare, a jar of peanut butter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504

19. Jan 20, 2009 #18
    Make your own PB, it's super easy and it tastes better. Buy 1-2 lbs of peanuts w/ or without shells. Shelling them takes a long time, but if you want super fresh PB, get ones w/ shells. Put them into a food processor like a cuisinart and chop them up finely until it becomes a big sticky mass, sort of like a thick ice cream. Add oil slowly in portions, which can be vegetable or peanut oil, and add until you get whatever consistency you desire. Add a pinch of salt. Add as much honey as you want to sweeten it until it pleases your taste. Blend further.

That's it.

20. Jan 28, 2009 #19

Astronuc

I have a friend who is fond of saying, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

FDA report finds multiple problems at peanut plant
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090128/ap_on_he_me/med_salmonella_outbreak
    I've known some people who became pretty ill from salmonella or E. coli contamination.

21. Jan 28, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

It seems that the peanut processing plant has a bad food-safety record and has repeatedly shipped products that were contaminated. In some instances, it appears that after getting positive results for salmonella they "shopped around" until they got a null result, and then illegally shipped the products.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090128...zZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawN1c3BlYW51dHBsYW4-

Edit: Ooh! Leapfrogged by Astro! Need to update (new posts) before posting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?