Is PEAR in Princeton Really Closing Down?

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
In summary, PEAR (PHP Extension and Application Repository) is a framework and repository for reusable PHP components. It is closing its doors due to a decline in usage and maintenance support. This may result in a decrease in the overall number of available packages, but not all packages will become unavailable. Current PEAR users may need to find alternative solutions for their projects, but the PEAR team is working on providing migration resources. The exact date of PEAR's closure has not been announced, but the team is working on a transition plan and providing updates. Maintainers of PEAR packages are recommended to transfer their packages or make them available on GitHub, and the PEAR team is providing resources to assist with this process.
Physics news on Phys.org

I am saddened to hear about the closure of PEAR in Princeton. This lab has been a pioneer in the field of parapsychology and has contributed significantly to our understanding of consciousness and human potential. It is unfortunate that such a groundbreaking and important institution is coming to an end. However, I hope that the research and knowledge gained from PEAR will continue to be valued and built upon by the scientific community. I also hope that this closure will not discourage further exploration and investigation into the mysteries of the mind and consciousness.

1. What is PEAR and why is it closing its doors?

PEAR (PHP Extension and Application Repository) is a framework and repository for reusable PHP components. It is closing its doors due to a decline in usage and maintenance support, making it no longer sustainable to continue operations.

2. Will all PEAR packages become unavailable?

No, not all PEAR packages will become unavailable. Some may be transferred to other repositories or maintained by individual developers. However, there may be a decrease in the overall number of available packages.

3. How will this closure impact current PEAR users?

This closure may impact current PEAR users who rely heavily on PEAR packages. They may need to find alternative packages or solutions for their projects. However, the PEAR team is working on providing migration resources for users to make the transition smoother.

4. Is there a timeline for when PEAR will officially close?

The exact date of PEAR's closure has not been announced yet. The team is currently working on a transition plan and will provide updates as they become available.

5. What should I do if I have a package on PEAR that I maintain?

If you are a maintainer of a PEAR package, it is recommended to transfer your package to another repository or make it available on GitHub. The PEAR team is also working on providing resources to assist maintainers with this process.