Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Mar 21, 2005 #1
    What is the difference between pectoral minor and major? What exercises "buffs" up pectorals? Does doing exercise stunt growth?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Click on the links under movement.

Pushups are perhaps the easiest, and relatively low impact for the pectoralis major, and rather than hands resting on palms, extend fingers - i.e. finger tip push ups.

Bench press with barbell or dumb bells to the side works.

Using the lats bar on a universal - facing the bar and pulling down in front, the rotating forearms forward and downward.

Each exercise puts a different stress orientation on the muscle.

Exercise does not stunt growth. Improper nutrition will have an effect as well as too little sleep. Growth is affected by hormones and genetics.
  4. Mar 21, 2005 #3
    I see, thanks!
  5. Mar 21, 2005 #4
    If you don't have time to follow this link, you dont have the dedication to get good pecs:

I have been reading Michael Furci for a logn time, and he knows his stuff. He's not some men's magazine journalist that makes up stuff, either.
  6. Mar 22, 2005 #5
    butterflys, dumbell raises, bench press...

On another note, pull-ups or chin-ups are excellent for getting that V-shape in the back. Think Brad Pitt in Fight Club
  7. Mar 22, 2005 #6

Gold Member

Pectoral Major would be Pamela Anderson; Pectoral Minor would be Sandra Bullock, but one hell of a lot hotter anyhow. :biggrin:
  8. Mar 22, 2005 #7

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You gain very little by doing finger push ups.

I like to use cables, but whatever works for you.
  9. Mar 22, 2005 #8
    Push-up work for me, with your palm just outside your shoulder gives a width to your pecs and just inside gives them depth.
  10. Mar 22, 2005 #9

Staff: Mentor

Finger pushups increase the range by about 4 inches, which stretches the muscles. And it strengthens the fingers - especially one-arm finger push-ups. Very useful for those who do martial arts - like shotokan or kempo.

A variation on pushups - push back as fast as possible then clap hands together in front of chest - first one clap, then work up to 2 claps and more.

Variation on that - clap hands behind the back or behind head.

And catch yourself before you land on the ground. :biggrin:

Do at least 10 or even 20 reps of each.

Very good exercise that promotes speed as well as strength - all very important in martial arts.
  11. Mar 22, 2005 #10

the best thing you can do is simply throw on the heaviest weights you can muster in the 8-10 rep range after a warmup, and then go down in reps on every supsequent set, while going up in weight. you'll get huge, trust me.
  12. Mar 22, 2005 #11
    Hmm, and risking damaging your back :uhh:

If you're starting from the beginning, don't go start bench pressing 300+ pounds
    or even 200.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  13. Mar 22, 2005 #12
    damaging your back? when lying flat on the bench?? & starting with 200 or 300lbs?! i haven't heard of anybody doing anything like that. everybody starts with whatever they can handle, & then they work up to big weights over the course of YEARS. (not weeks or months!)

i'm not down with benching because i don't want to risk wrecking my shoulders, so i guess i don't do anything direct for my chest. since i'm old-school i don't use any more equipment other than a bar, a squat rack, & some plates. the only pressing i do is overhead. if i really wanted to concentrate on my chest though, i'd do nothing but bench presses, because then i'd have 2 joints (elbows & shoulders) & all the muscles around there working as a team, rather than isolating just 1. isn't that how things work in the real world? when pushing a car out of a ditch you don't try to isolate your hamstrings; your hamstrings, quads, calves, glutes, lower back, etc all work together. same idea with bench pressing.
  14. Mar 22, 2005 #13

lol. I wish it were that easy! No one can just slap 300 pounds onto a bar and bench it as a beginner. I've been working out consistently for 8 years (mostly for football and other sports), and have been a personal trainer for the past 3. After all that, my bench isn't more than 280 (haven't had one weightroom related injury either). I started off at barely being able to lift around 65 (which at the time I would struggle with for about 8-10 reps.) I would say without flinching, that if you are too afraid to exert yourself, and push your body to it's limits, you'll never improve. And, sorry, you can do pushups untill you're blue in the face, but a pushup just isn't enough of a signal to your body that it needs to put on strength and muscle mass.
  15. Mar 22, 2005 #14
    A gradual buildup of weights over the course of a few weeks is what I was implying. Since I've seen friends just go all the way after not having worked out in a long while. Risking injury

As far as pushups go, they're great but depending on whether you're building strength or just don't have space for an equipment that or dumbbells/barbells may be enough.
  16. Mar 23, 2005 #15

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've been into exercising for a long time: Dont' concentrate on one musscle group just because they look cool, well delts too but I digress. Approach exercising from a "whole body" perspective. The results will come if you stick to it: Say about 20-30 different exercises in a one hour period, several sets of some if you wish but distribute them over upper body, legs, abs, arms, back. The nice pecs will emerge naturally say, 3-6 months and in the end you'll have a nice uniform appearance instead of some big stuff and others not so.

Wait a minute: 3-6 months if you're young. If you're like me in your 40's, you'll need to exercise regularly just to stay even and can forget about getting anything much bigger than you already have them, natural-wise anyway.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?