Solve Pedagogical Machine Homework

• Thread starter PFuser1232
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the conversation discusses a "pedagogical machine" and the forces required to keep a certain mass from rising or falling. The conversation includes the use of a coordinate system, the application of Newton's second law, and the inclusion of additional constraint equations to derive the correct answer.
PFuser1232

Homework Statement

A “pedagogical machine” is illustrated in the sketch (attached image). All surfaces are frictionless. What force ##F## must be applied to ##M_1## to keep ##M_3## from rising or falling?

Homework Equations

$$\sum_{}^{} \vec{F} = m \vec{a}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have chosen a coordinate system such that all particles have positive coordinates. My ##x##-axis points to the right and my ##y##-axis points upwards. The length of the rope remains constant, and it can be expressed as:
$$l = x_p - x_2 + \frac{\pi R}{2} + y_p - y_3$$
The pulley is located at ##(x_p,y_p)##.
Differentiating twice with respect to time and rearranging:
$$\ddot{x}_2 + \ddot{y}_3 = \ddot{x}_p$$
Since the pulley and ##M_1## are fixed:
$$\ddot{x}_2 + \ddot{y}_3 = \ddot{x}_1$$
Since ##\dot{y}_3 = 0## for all ##t##, ##\ddot{y}_3 = 0##.
In other words:
$$\ddot{x}_1 = \ddot{x}_2$$
Now, applying Newton's second law to each mass:
$$T - M_3 g = 0 ⇒ T = M_3 g$$
$$T = M_2 \ddot{x}_2$$
$$F - T = M_1 \ddot{x}_1$$
Where ##T## is the tension in the rope.
$$M_3 g = M_2 \ddot{x}_2 ⇒ \ddot{x}_2 = \frac{M_3 g}{M_2} = \ddot{x}_1$$
$$F = T + M_1 \ddot{x}_1 = M_3 g (1 + \frac{M_1}{M_2})$$
$$F = M_3 g \frac{M_1 + M_2}{M_2}$$
Which doesn't match the clue given in my book. According to my book, if all three masses are equal, then ##F = 3Mg##.
Where did I go wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 760
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get your equation ##F-T=M_1\ddot x_1##? What are the forces acting on M1?

haruspex said:
How do you get your equation ##F-T=M_1\ddot x_1##? What are the forces acting on M1?

In the ##x##-direction, there's ##F## and ##T##.
##T## acts on the pulley, which is a part of ##M_1##.
All surfaces are frictionless.

MohammedRady97 said:
In the ##x##-direction, there's ##F## and ##T##.
##T## acts on the pulley, which is a part of ##M_1##.
All surfaces are frictionless.
Yes, but you've missed a force. What makes M3 accelerate?

Likes PFuser1232
haruspex said:
Yes, but you've missed a force. What makes M3 accelerate?

The net force caused by the difference between ##N## and ##N'## (different normal reactions)?

MohammedRady97 said:
The net force caused by the difference between ##N## and ##N'## (different normal reactions)?

$$\vec{F}_{31} = -\vec{F}_{13}$$
The net force on ##M_3## is to the right, so the force ##M_3## exerts on ##M_1## must be to the left.
I guess I missed an additional constraint:
##\ddot{x}_1 = \ddot{x}_3## since ##x_3## and ##x_1## differ by a constant.
I got the right answer, thanks!
I have a question though, the equation only holds if ##M_3## is always in direct contact with ##M_1##, right?
I have not taken into account the fact that ##M_3## can swing left and right while deriving the first constraint equation.

MohammedRady97 said:
$$\vec{F}_{31} = -\vec{F}_{13}$$
The net force on ##M_3## is to the right, so the force ##M_3## exerts on ##M_1## must be to the left.
I guess I missed an additional constraint:
##\ddot{x}_1 = \ddot{x}_3## since ##x_3## and ##x_1## differ by a constant.
I got the right answer, thanks!
I have a question though, the equation only holds if ##M_3## is always in direct contact with ##M_1##, right?
I have not taken into account the fact that ##M_3## can swing left and right while deriving the first constraint equation.
Yes, if the two do not start quite in contact then there will be a different behaviour initially, but it wouldn't last long.

What is a pedagogical machine?

A pedagogical machine is a teaching tool that uses technology to enhance and improve the learning experience. It can take various forms, such as online platforms, interactive software, or physical devices, and is designed to provide personalized instruction, feedback, and assessment to students.

How can a pedagogical machine help with homework?

A pedagogical machine can help with homework by providing students with targeted practice and feedback on their understanding of a subject. It can also offer personalized study materials and resources based on the student's individual learning needs and pace. Additionally, pedagogical machines can track a student's progress and provide data to teachers to help inform instruction.

What are the benefits of using a pedagogical machine for homework?

Using a pedagogical machine for homework has several benefits. It can increase student engagement and motivation by providing interactive and personalized learning experiences. It can also help students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and self-directed learning skills. Additionally, pedagogical machines can save teachers time by automating tasks such as grading and providing data on student progress.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using pedagogical machines for homework?

There are some potential drawbacks to using pedagogical machines for homework. Some students may struggle with technology, making it difficult for them to use the tool effectively. There is also a concern that relying too heavily on technology for learning can limit opportunities for face-to-face interactions and socialization. Additionally, there may be a cost associated with using pedagogical machines, which could create inequities in access to resources for students.

What should be considered when choosing a pedagogical machine for homework?

When choosing a pedagogical machine for homework, it is important to consider the specific needs and learning goals of students. The tool should align with the curriculum and provide meaningful and relevant learning experiences. It should also be user-friendly and accessible for all students. Other factors to consider include the cost, technical support, and compatibility with existing technology and resources in the classroom.