Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peer-to-peer ip disclosure

1. May 5, 2004 #1
    Quick question:

I'm a frequent user of Kazaa's peer-peer network to obtain music files. I would like to continue downloading without the concern of a lawsuit, so I am wondering if anyone knows a simple way to fake/hide your ip address without altering the port you're plugged into. Could I use another computer to act as an intermediary? Thanks for any input.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Stop using Kazaa, it sucks anyway.

- Warren

4. May 5, 2004 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Oblivion, don't worry about being caught. There are too many people and unless your serving 1000s of songs, the RIAA doesn't care about the small beans.

If your soo paranoid about the RIAA handing you a lawsuit, try using this encrypted p2p program:

http://waste.sourceforge.net/

It was orignally developed by some people at AOL. Then they got fired. Some people over at Via, the company that makes motherboards and such, have a modified version that works with the companies hardware encryption system, but that was later removed from their website. Now you can get it over at sourceforge.

This software is very much like direct connect, but encrypted. Be prepared to have GBs upon GBs of shared material to get into the good groups.

5. May 5, 2004 #4
    I've been kinda looking for a good p2p program. thanks dduardo

6. May 5, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tsk.. if I got a nickel for everytime someone ignored my (quite pertinent) advice to stop using p2p..

- Warren

7. May 5, 2004 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Now there is a business model the RIAA can use to replace their currently dying one. :wink:

8. May 5, 2004 #7
    aww, this is depressing. I don't have any friends... just as well I guess, like chroot said p2p are bad. Its just that the temptation for free stuff gets to you sometimes

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  9. May 8, 2004 #8

ShawnD

Science Advisor

:eek:

There is one way to protect yourself. Create a botnet and use one of the bots as a proxy. I have a buddy who does that. All file sharing programs, chat programs, and email are routed through one of his bots.

One of these days I'll run a botnet.

Last edited: May 8, 2004
  10. May 8, 2004 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For god's sake, just use usenet. It's huge, it's active, it's super high quality, and it's completely untraceable.

Welcome to the stone age, folks.

- Warren

11. May 8, 2004 #10

ShawnD

Science Advisor

It also costs $20 per month.

12. May 8, 2004 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Actually, I lucked out because my ISP provides me with free usenet.

alt.binaries.......yum

13. May 8, 2004 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ShawnD: no, it's usually free -- most ISPs have a news server. A premium provider is only $10/month, too. At any rate, it beats the ever-living-hell out of peer-to-peer filesharing, and is worth every penny.

- Warren

14. May 8, 2004 #13
    There is a program called PeerGuardian which adds a level of protection from RIAA/MPAA Honeypots. So if your computer tries to make a connection on anyone of their servers it blocks it out automatically like a firewall, just google it.

Last edited: May 8, 2004
  15. May 9, 2004 #14
    Should we load PeerGuardian only when doing Kazaa? I hate to have resources wasting away if it doesn't do anything any other time.

Also, is there a PeerGuardian type program that I can put on one of the computers in my network that woudl constatly stop this type of thing?

I have my internet going to a router, and my comps on the router. I'd like to have a prog running on one of the PCs that protects them all from the bad IPs for kazaa, etc, is this possible? All my PCs have ZoneAlarm, if that matters.

16. May 9, 2004 #15
    Sure

Just install PeerGuardian on every computer you use kazaa on. And make sure you update the IP blocklist.

It's a very powerful program so don't run it when you're just surfing as it won't let you connect to most sites. And don't let this give you a false sense of security, as it may block most known decoy servers but they are constantly updated by the RIAA, the movie industry, the military, police and everyone else...

Last edited: May 10, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?