1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peg and pendulum help!

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i need to calculate the d for a 45 degree drop of pendulum that the lenght is .44m. i did the one for 90 degrees but i cant figure out how to get a different outcome.

2. Relevant equations
    ug initial= KE + Ug final
    mgh=0.5mv^2=mgh
    gl=0.5rg+g2r
    l=0.5r+2r
    l=0.5(l-d)+2(l-d)
    l=5/2l-5/2d
    l=d+r
    r=l-d
    v^2=rg
    m(v^2/r)=mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    i got 26.4 cm
    L=.44m
    dexp=.28 @90 degrees
    dexp=.41 @ 45 degrees

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2
    I would like to lend a hand but I am a little confused about the variables you are using.

If I interpret correctly,
    L=length of pendulum string (0.44m)
    d=height of pendulum bob at θ=45° (unknown)
    r=difference between L and d (unknown)

If this is the case you don't need to worry about energy or forces. Drawing a diagram and looking at the geometry of them problem will be enough to find and equation for d in terms of what you already know.
    A good place to start would be to notice that L and r form a right triangle when the bob is held at 45°.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    ok so i drew this and i get that the r is whats left of the lenght of the string after it hits d. r is also the radius of the circle that the bob makes when it makes one revolution. i dont understand how to get either one of them.

L=1/2r+2r
    L=3/2r
    0.44=3/2r
    r=0.2933333
    i guess this is how i could find that and if i plug this in...

r=L-D
    -D=r-L
    D=-r+L
    D=L-r
    D=0.44-0.29333333
    D=.129067m
    D=12.9cm
    that doesnt make sense because the Dexp= .41
    thats .28m off...
    the Dexp@90 was only 1.6cm off...
    please help

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4
    Sorry, but I'm still a little confused here...

I see your experimental d, called dexp, at 45° is larger than your dexp at 90°.
    With the way I've defined d above, this should not be possible, so perhaps I do not understand the experiment correctly.

Could you start at the beginning and describe the experiment? (and possibly include a picture?) Defining any variables you use would also be very helpful.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook