Peicewise Integral Evaluation: Problems and Solutions

• Thread starter hks118
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of evaluating an integral and the use of fractions versus decimals. The attempted solution involves splitting the integral into two parts and adding the results, but the answer is incorrect due to rounding errors when using decimals. The correct approach is to use fractions instead.
hks118

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral
%282%20text%28%20if%20%29%20-2%3C%3Dx%3C0%2C%205-x%5E2%20text%28%20if%20%29%200%3C%3Dx%3C%3D4%29.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried splitting it into two integrals and adding the results, but it says that's wrong. I think it has something to do with the fact that the first part doesn't go all the way to zero...

Physics news on Phys.org
Splitting up the integral is the correct approach. Show your work so people can see where you go wrong.

Ok, so I started by evaluating the first function on the interval [-2,0]

F(x)=2x
F(0)=0
F(-2)=-4

0-(-4)=4

Then I evaluated the second function on [0,4]

F(x)= 5x-x3/3
F(0)=0
F(4)=-1.3333333

Adding them gets me 2.6666666, which apparently is incorrect.

Why do you say it is apparently incorrect. Does the book provide an answer or do you enter it in some kind of computer program? Either way your answer is essentially correct, but since you've chosen to use decimals you get rounding errors. Use fractions instead.

It is a computer program. I'll try with factions, it is very finicky sometimes...

Entered 8/3 and was right. Hate computers! haha

1. What is Peicewise Integral Evaluation?

Peicewise Integral Evaluation is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve that is defined by a piecewise function. This means that the curve is made up of multiple segments, each with its own unique equation.

2. What are some common problems encountered in Peicewise Integral Evaluation?

Some common problems in Peicewise Integral Evaluation include finding the correct limits of integration, correctly setting up the integral for each segment, and dealing with discontinuities or undefined points in the function.

3. How can these problems be solved?

To solve these problems, it is important to carefully analyze the given function and identify any potential issues. For example, if there are discontinuities, the integral can be broken up into smaller intervals to avoid them. Additionally, double-checking the limits of integration and integrating each segment separately can help avoid errors.

4. Are there any tips for successfully completing Peicewise Integral Evaluation?

Yes, some tips for success include understanding the properties of integrals and being familiar with common functions, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. It is also important to practice and check your work to catch any mistakes.

5. In what real-world applications is Peicewise Integral Evaluation used?

Peicewise Integral Evaluation has many real-world applications, such as calculating the area under a curve in physics problems, finding the total distance traveled in motion problems, and determining the total amount of a substance in a chemical reaction. It is also used in economics, engineering, and other fields where continuous functions are present.