Solving Pell's Equation: I'm Stuck!

• Thread starter wii
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation x^2 - 18y^2 = 12 with two unknowns. It is mentioned that without specifying the set of x and y, the equation has an infinite set of solutions. The idea of finding x/y after finding the square root of 18 is mentioned, but it is clarified that both x and y must be integers. It is suggested to seek help in the Number Theory section as there is no solution to the equation.
wii
I want to solve this equation

[tex]x^2 - 18 y^2 = 12[/tex]

Any suggestion?

I thought , we have to find [itex]\sqrt 18[/itex]and then find [tex]x/y[/tex]

BUT I was confused and then stopped solving

Physics news on Phys.org
This equation has 2 unknowns. If you don't specify what set x and y are elements of, for example integer, it has an infinite set of solutions that can be represented parametrically as:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
x = \pm 2 \sqrt{3} \, \cosh{t} \\

y = \frac{2 \sqrt{3}}{3} \, \sinh{t}
\end{array}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Sorry,
Both x & y are integers.

You might get more help if you posted this in the Number Theory section...

There is no solution.

1. What is Pell's equation?

Pell's equation is a type of Diophantine equation in mathematics that is expressed as x^2 - Dy^2 = 1, where D is a positive nonsquare integer.

2. How do you solve Pell's equation?

There are several methods for solving Pell's equation, including the Chakravala method, continued fractions, and the Lagrange method. Each method involves finding the fundamental solution (smallest positive integer solution) and using it to generate infinitely many other solutions.

3. What are the real-world applications of Pell's equation?

Pell's equation has applications in various fields such as cryptography, number theory, and physics. It is also used in solving certain types of recurrence relations and determining the shortest path between two points on a hyperbolic plane.

4. What are some common challenges in solving Pell's equation?

One common challenge is finding the fundamental solution, as it involves finding the square root of D. Another challenge is determining when to stop generating solutions, as there can be infinitely many. Additionally, the solutions can become very large, making it difficult to work with them.

5. Are there any known unsolved instances of Pell's equation?

Yes, there are infinitely many unsolved instances of Pell's equation, known as unsolvable or impossible cases. These occur when there are no integer solutions for a given D. The smallest unsolvable case is D = 61.