What heat sink is best for a peltier cooling device?

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a peltier device that can cool down to 10 degrees C and run for 30 minutes. The participants suggest using a heat sink from Tetech and attaching it with epoxy or a plastic frame and heatsink goo. They also mention using a fan to dissipate heat and discuss the possibility of cooling vaccines at a specific temperature for an hour. The preferred deltaT for the peltier device is dependent on the temperature of the hot plate.
Kvm90
Hey all,

I am trying to construct a peltier device where the 'cold side' can cool down to about 10 degrees C. I want to be able to run the device for upwards of 30 minutes but I am not sure what heat sink to use to remove the heat from the hot side.

Any suggestions on what heat sink to get? How do I attach it? Epoxy?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google is your friend. http://www.tetech.com/" sells thermoelectric components and has some instructions and tutorials. This pdf in particular will probably give you what you need.

http://www.tetech.com/docs/tem_(thermoelectric_module)_mounting_procedure.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
I built exactly that for my telescope camera. You should be able to search for the thread.

On computer motherboards, there is a heavy heatsink above the CPU.

I am looking at one that is 7 cm square and 5 cm high with about 20 fins and with a 12 volt fan mounted on it.

I haven't tried this, but if you could find a defunct motherboard with a Pentium 4 or Celeron CPU heatsink on it, I imagine this could get rid of a lot of heat, especially with the fan running.

It is clamped to the CPU with a plastic frame and there is some heatsink goo between the two surfaces.

This is better than epoxy, because it can be easily disassembled.

is there a peltier device that cools down from about 2-8 degrees C? We will be using it for our project, which needs that specific temperature for the vaccines..

and we're planning to maintain that temperature for at least an hour or so, what heat sink can we use for it?

tnx.. :)

the size we're planning for our project is at least 1.5x1x1 ft..
our project is to maintain the temperature for vaccines which is 2-8 deg C..
is it possible? and where can we buy the device?and what should be the deltaT of the peltier device? tnx!:)

Yes, it is possible. I am assuming you will have some chamber with these vaccines. You will need to have a way to circulate the air in the cold chamber as well - think of it as a "cold sink".

As far as the heatsink for the hot side, you NEED to specify how much heat you are dissipating, in watts. Right now I don't know if you are cooling a whole stockroom full of vaccines or a box that holds just a few.

we're planning to place a fan for the hot part of the peltier device to lessen the heat dissipated by it. but right now, we still don't have a peltier. How would we know if the peltier can have a temp from 2-8 deg C? our project will hold atleast .03 cubic meter of vaccines.. its just few since our bag is can hold .04 cubic meter.. tnx!

Hey angeline, as I'm sure you've found by now, peltiers can easily achieve those temperatures with the right heat sink. Browse TE Technologies if you're looking for different specs. The spec charts are pretty difficult to apply but I've been maintaining a cold plate temp of -10C for 30 minutes for my project this summer. Let me know any more questions

(my post got cut off weird) that's supposed to say a cold plate temp of -10C

The preferred deltaT for the device is dependent on what temperature you keep the hot plate. For example, long story short I used the heat of fusion of paraffin wax, which has a melting temperature of 40C, as a phase changing material for my heat sink. Wanting to achieve a cold plate temperature of -10C, I obviously needed a deltaT of 50 so that is what I considered when looking at perspective peltiers to buy.

The trouble you might run into is 1. finding a peltier that's so huge (you might just want to make one to be honest) and 2. with large peltiers there is large amounts of waste heat generated from electrical resistance so keep that in mind.

1. What is a Peltier Cooling Heat Sink?

A Peltier Cooling Heat Sink is a thermoelectric device that utilizes the Peltier effect to transfer heat away from a heat source, thereby cooling it.

2. How does a Peltier Cooling Heat Sink work?

A Peltier Cooling Heat Sink is made up of two different types of semiconductors that are connected to each other. When an electrical current is passed through these semiconductors, one side becomes hot and the other side becomes cold, creating a temperature gradient and transferring heat away from the hot side.

3. What are the benefits of using a Peltier Cooling Heat Sink?

One of the main benefits of using a Peltier Cooling Heat Sink is its compact size and versatility. It can be used in small spaces and is not limited by orientation like traditional cooling methods. It also has no moving parts, making it more durable and reliable. Additionally, it can cool objects below ambient temperature.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Peltier Cooling Heat Sink?

One limitation of a Peltier Cooling Heat Sink is its efficiency. It is not as efficient as other cooling methods and can only transfer a limited amount of heat. It also requires a continuous power supply to maintain its cooling effect. Additionally, it is sensitive to temperature changes and can be damaged if exposed to high temperatures.

5. What are some common applications of Peltier Cooling Heat Sinks?

Peltier Cooling Heat Sinks are commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, refrigerators, and portable coolers. They are also used in scientific and medical equipment, as well as in aerospace and automotive industries. Additionally, they can be used for cooling and temperature control in food and beverage production, and for thermal management in industrial processes.