Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peltier Junction Heats, Doesn't Cool

1. Nov 20, 2004 #1

Mk

I have a peltier junction rated at 12V and when ran both sides become hot, what's wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2004 #2
  4. Nov 20, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You need to strap a heat sink to it, otherwise there is nowhere for the heat on the hot side to go except over to the cold side. I bought one a couple of months ago to play with and I got two heat sinks with fans and rubber banded them together with the peltier in the middle.

5. Nov 20, 2004 #4

Mk

Ahh, thanks guys. Yeah, I have a heat sink already from my gutted Pentium 2. If I turn down the voltage, can I feel the coolness of one side? How can you tell which side will be hot, and which will be cold?

6. Nov 20, 2004 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Without a heat-sink, you'll need to be touching both sides the moment the power is applied to tell the difference. But it should work (with a heatsink) at 5V - I used a computer power supply to run mine for testing.
    Unless its marked, you have to turn it on to find out - and trust me, you'll know. It takes less than a second for it to cool 50+ degrees.

7. Nov 21, 2004 #6

Mk

Is there a maximum heat output? Can I turn the voltage up past 12V?

8. Aug 6, 2009 #7
    Most put a thermal switch in that cuts out at 150 degrees F. yes you can go past 12 volt NOT ALL but most 12 volt pelter junctions have a absolute max voltage input of 15.2 volts

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?