1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pelton Wheel Problem

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    Think I posted in the wrong section previously.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The buckets of a Pelton wheel deflect a jet, having a velocity of 60m/s, through an angle of 160o. Assuming that the velocity of the jet relative to the buckets is reduced by 15% as the jet water moves over them, find the efficiency of the wheel if the speed of the buckets is 27m/s and, using this efficiency, calculate the diameter of the jet so that the wheel may develop 200kW.

2. Relevant equations

I believe the following are relevant:

0.5(1+cos θ )

or 0.5 Rp (1+ cos θ) To be honest I can't find anything in my classroom notes to suggest there should be a Rp in this formula.

V(bucket) = 0.5 x V(jet)

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the equation: 0.5 Rp (1+ cosθ)

The first problem would give me an efficiency of 0.5 x 60 x (1 + cos 20 degress)

= 28.691

V(jet) at 85% = 27 / 0.5 = 54 m/s

At this speed using again the above formula:

0.5 x 54 x (1 + cos 20 degrees) = 25.871

25.871 / 28.691 = approx 90%

The answer has been given as 89% which is pretty close. However, I don't feel given all the different numerical values given that I have quite grasped the problem and I have just been lucky!!

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's an expression, not an equation. What does it represent?
    Rp being?
    Always? Why?
    That's a speed, not an efficiency, right? Is this the speed the buckets would move at if the wheel were 100% efficient? And you mean the first equation?
    Where did the 27 come from? 85% of 60 = 51
    I don't understand any basis for calculating the efficiency that way. Efficiency should be a matter of energy, which varies according to squares of velocities typically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook