Pelton Wheel: Solve 200kW Diameter Problem

• Thread starter lennonconnor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a problem involving the efficiency of a Pelton wheel based on various given numerical values and equations. The student is unsure of the correct formula to use and receives help from someone who points out the errors in their calculations and suggests considering energy in the efficiency calculation.
lennonconnor
Think I posted in the wrong section previously.

1. Homework Statement

The buckets of a Pelton wheel deflect a jet, having a velocity of 60m/s, through an angle of 160o. Assuming that the velocity of the jet relative to the buckets is reduced by 15% as the jet water moves over them, find the efficiency of the wheel if the speed of the buckets is 27m/s and, using this efficiency, calculate the diameter of the jet so that the wheel may develop 200kW.

2. Homework Equations

I believe the following are relevant:

0.5(1+cos θ )

or 0.5 Rp (1+ cos θ) To be honest I can't find anything in my classroom notes to suggest there should be a Rp in this formula.

V(bucket) = 0.5 x V(jet)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation: 0.5 Rp (1+ cosθ)

The first problem would give me an efficiency of 0.5 x 60 x (1 + cos 20 degress)

= 28.691

V(jet) at 85% = 27 / 0.5 = 54 m/s

At this speed using again the above formula:

0.5 x 54 x (1 + cos 20 degrees) = 25.871

25.871 / 28.691 = approx 90%

The answer has been given as 89% which is pretty close. However, I don't feel given all the different numerical values given that I have quite grasped the problem and I have just been lucky!

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
lennonconnor said:
0.5(1+cos θ )
That's an expression, not an equation. What does it represent?
or 0.5 Rp (1+ cos θ) To be honest I can't find anything in my classroom notes to suggest there should be a Rp in this formula.
Rp being?
V(bucket) = 0.5 x V(jet)
Always? Why?
The first problem would give me an efficiency of 0.5 x 60 x (1 + cos 20 degress) = 28.691
That's a speed, not an efficiency, right? Is this the speed the buckets would move at if the wheel were 100% efficient? And you mean the first equation?
V(jet) at 85% = 27 / 0.5 = 54 m/s
Where did the 27 come from? 85% of 60 = 51
At this speed using again the above formula:

0.5 x 54 x (1 + cos 20 degrees) = 25.871

25.871 / 28.691 = approx 90%
I don't understand any basis for calculating the efficiency that way. Efficiency should be a matter of energy, which varies according to squares of velocities typically.

1. What is a Pelton Wheel?

A Pelton Wheel is a type of water turbine used in hydroelectric power plants to convert the energy of moving water into mechanical energy.

2. How does a Pelton Wheel work?

A Pelton Wheel works by directing a jet of water onto a series of double-curved buckets attached to a rotating wheel. The water's kinetic energy causes the wheel to rotate, which in turn drives a generator to produce electricity.

3. What is the 200kW Diameter Problem for a Pelton Wheel?

The 200kW Diameter Problem refers to the challenge of determining the optimal diameter for the Pelton Wheel in order to generate 200 kilowatts (kW) of power. This involves considering variables such as the water flow rate, head (vertical distance between the water source and the wheel), and efficiency of the turbine.

4. How is the 200kW Diameter Problem solved?

The 200kW Diameter Problem can be solved through calculations and simulations using various equations and principles, such as the Pelton Wheel Efficiency Equation and the Euler Turbine Equation. It may also involve trial and error testing to determine the most efficient diameter for the specific conditions.

5. What are the factors that affect the optimal diameter for a Pelton Wheel?

The optimal diameter for a Pelton Wheel is affected by several factors, including the water flow rate, head, efficiency of the turbine, and the type and design of the buckets on the wheel. Other factors such as the quality of the water source and the operating conditions of the power plant may also play a role.