PEM, ANION and MEA membranes for an electrolyzer

• Thread starter AndrzejBristol
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's research on different types of membranes for fuel cells, specifically anion membrane, PEM, and MEA. The speaker is seeking more information on how PEM is made and its role in a fuel cell. They also express interest in comparing different types of fuel cells and electrolyzers and ask for recommendations on where to find more detailed information on these topics.
AndrzejBristol
TL;DR Summary
Building electrolyzer.
Hello,
I wanted to build electrolyzer however during my research I encountered number of different membranes for fuel cells etc.. For example anion membrane , PEM , MEA etc. Have to admit I am getting lost in all of this and would like to know more.

I tried to do my own research and I got to point when I decided to find some information on forum.

From what I understand PEM is a full fuel cell membrane that includes GDL s. Anion membrane will keep oxygen and hydrogen separate. Here is my question. Where can I find some information how for example PEM is made and why?. Is there a book or place where I can find such information?. I don't want to buy pieces and put it together - would like to know exactly how it works. Appreciate help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is just brief information and I am trying to find some more detail. For example why gdl is needed and what role does it play etc.. Also I am interested in comparison of different types of fuel cells as well as electrolyzers. Book or article?. Thanks

1. What is PEM, ANION, and MEA?

PEM (Proton Exchange Membrane), ANION, and MEA (Membrane Electrode Assembly) are all types of membranes used in electrolyzers. These membranes play a crucial role in separating the anode and cathode compartments and facilitating the movement of ions during the electrolysis process.

2. What are the differences between PEM, ANION, and MEA membranes?

PEM membranes are made of a polymer material that selectively allows protons to pass through, while ANION membranes are made of a porous material that allows anions to pass through. MEA membranes consist of a PEM layer sandwiched between two electrode layers, allowing for efficient ion exchange.

3. How do these membranes affect the performance of an electrolyzer?

The choice of membrane can greatly impact the efficiency and performance of an electrolyzer. PEM membranes have a high proton conductivity, making them suitable for low-temperature electrolysis. ANION membranes have a higher selectivity for anions, making them ideal for alkaline electrolysis. MEA membranes provide a balance between the two and are commonly used in proton exchange membrane electrolyzers.

4. What are the main factors to consider when selecting a membrane for an electrolyzer?

When choosing a membrane for an electrolyzer, factors such as ion selectivity, chemical and thermal stability, mechanical strength, and cost should be considered. The membrane should also be compatible with the electrolyte and electrodes used in the electrolyzer.

5. How can the lifespan of PEM, ANION, and MEA membranes be extended?

The lifespan of these membranes can be extended by proper maintenance and operation of the electrolyzer. This includes regular cleaning and replacing of damaged or degraded membranes. Using high-quality membranes and ensuring proper operating conditions can also help prolong their lifespan.