Why SQRT((-3)^2) = 3: Exploring Exponents

• B
  • Thread starter DMBdyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of square roots and the order of operations when dealing with parentheses inside parentheses. It is clarified that the square root function is only defined over the non-negative real numbers and that the expression "x" as a function does not follow the expected pattern of a composed function. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the simplification of the expression √((-3)^2), which is equal to 3.
DMBdyn
I am having trouble understanding why the following expression is equal to 3:

SQRT((-3)^2)

What prevents me from cancelling the exponent 2 by the exponent 1/2 introduced by the square root, which yields a value of -3?

Thanks for the help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What does SQRT() do?

Usually the surd is defined so that ##\sqrt{x}## is the positive square root, when taken by itself like you seem to have.
Computer scripts usually evaluate it the same way. When it appears in an expression, you can use the context to help.
You can tie yourself in knots doing the other way.

Put ##x=\sqrt{(-3)^2}## ... what values of x make this expression true?

By order of operation you do the inner brackets first ... so you could write:
##x = ((-3)^2)^{1/2}## and still get the same out.

SQRT(x^2) = |x|

SQRT((-3)^2) = |-3| = 3

I hope I could help.

Okay... so from what I'm understanding so far you should work from the inside out when dealing with parentheses inside parentheses. This allows me to get the value of 3. However, suppose I define x = -3. I then have SQRT(x^2) which yields just x. This simplification yields -3 as the result of the expression. What gives?

Thanks again for all the help.

*EDIT: Reading some more online it looks as though a square root more explicitly defined has two solutions, both a positive and negative. This doesn't necessarily answer my question on correct order of operations in this scenario, however. Any help there is still appreciated.

You did the maths wrong.
x==-3, x^2 = 9, SQRT(9)=3 = -x
i.e. if x<0, then SQRT(x^2)=-x
i.e. SQRT(x^2) = |x|

note: if x < 0, then ##\sqrt{x} = i\sqrt{-x}: i=\sqrt{-1}##

Last edited:
DMBdyn said:
Okay... so from what I'm understanding so far you should work from the inside out when dealing with parentheses inside parentheses. This allows me to get the value of 3. However, suppose I define x = -3. I then have SQRT(x^2) which yields just x.
No (as Simon already said). ##\sqrt{(-3)^2} = \sqrt{9} = 3 \ne -3##
DMBdyn said:
This simplification yields -3 as the result of the expression. What gives?

Thanks again for all the help.

*EDIT: Reading some more online it looks as though a square root more explicitly defined has two solutions, both a positive and negative.
No. The principal square root of a number x, which is denoted as ##\sqrt{x}##, is the positive number a such that ##a^2 = x##. I'm assuming here that x is a nonnegative real number, so that we don't go off into the imaginary numbers.
DMBdyn said:
This doesn't necessarily answer my question on correct order of operations in this scenario, however. Any help there is still appreciated.
Your question was already answered. ##((-3)^2)^{1/2}## should be evaluated from the inner-most parentheses outward.

You can't cancel them because they aren't inverse functions over the domain of negative numbers. The square function isn't one to one. Both -3 and 3 map to the same number 9. So it doesn't have an inverse. It only has an inverse when taken over a limited domain (such as non-negative real numbers).

You can simplify it under sqrt as,
√(-3)2 ⇒ √(-3)×(-3) = √9 = ±3

I hope it' ll help.

Likes Rajesh Bhuria
Deepak suwalka said:
You can simplify it under sqrt as,
√(-3)2 ⇒ √(-3)×(-3) = √9 = ±3
That last part is incorrect, but it is a very common mistake. √9 = 3. The symbol √9 represents the principal square root of 9, which is 3.

Likes Simon Bridge
... for example: the quadratic formula has a ##\pm## before the root symbol [##2ax = -b^2\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}##]... which makes no sense if the ##\pm## is implicit in it.

Now if you were to say ##x^2=9## then the solution is ##x=\pm\sqrt{9} = \pm 3## or ##x\in\{-3,3\}## ... that's where the ##\pm## gets used.

Likes DrClaude
##\sqrt{(-3)^2}##
##=\sqrt{9}##
=3

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that √(x2) ≠ x, if we're considering all real numbers (-∞, ∞).

The square root function is only defined over the non-negative real numbers, which is fine because the squaring function always gives us non-negative reals.

The function f(x) = x2, takes us from any real number (-∞, ∞) to a non-negative real number [0, ∞).

The function g(x) = √x, takes us from a non-negative real number [0, ∞) to a non-negative real number [0, ∞).

Applying the square, followed by the square root, should give us a function that goes:

g(f(x)) = ? : (-∞, ∞) -> [0, ∞) -> [0, ∞)

However the expression 'x' as a function goes like:

h(x) = x : (-∞, ∞) -> (-∞, ∞)

Which is not what we expect from our composed function. We can resolve this by realizing that

f(x) = x2 = |x|2

In which case

g(f(x)) = √(|x|2) = |x| : (-∞, ∞) -> [0, ∞)

Take my explanation with a grain of salt, as I too am still learning the rules.

1. What is the meaning of SQRT((-3)^2)?

The SQRT function stands for "square root" and is used to find the number that, when squared, will give the number inside the square root. In this case, (-3)^2 is equal to 9, so the square root of 9 is the number that, when squared, will give 9. This is why SQRT((-3)^2) is equal to 3.

2. Why is the exponent (-3)^2 necessary in this equation?

The exponent (-3)^2 is necessary because it represents the power to which the number -3 is being raised. In this case, the -3 is being raised to the power of 2, which means it is being multiplied by itself. This is why (-3)^2 is equal to 9.

3. Can you explain why SQRT((-3)^2) is equal to 3 using mathematical principles?

According to the mathematical order of operations, exponents are evaluated before square roots. So, in this case, the exponent (-3)^2 is evaluated first, resulting in 9. Then, the square root of 9 is found, which is equal to 3. This is why SQRT((-3)^2) is equal to 3.

4. Is there a difference between (-3)^2 and -3^2 in this equation?

Yes, there is a difference. In (-3)^2, the parentheses indicate that the -3 should be squared first before applying the square root function. This results in 9. However, in -3^2, the exponent is applied to the -3 without parentheses, which means the -3 is squared and then the negative sign is applied. This results in -9. Therefore, (-3)^2 is not equal to -3^2.

5. How does this equation relate to the concept of exponents and radicals?

This equation demonstrates the relationship between exponents and radicals. Exponents represent repeated multiplication, while square roots (or radicals) represent finding the number that was multiplied repeatedly to get a certain result. In this case, the exponent (-3)^2 represents repeated multiplication of -3, while the square root represents finding the number that was multiplied by itself to get 9, which is 3.