How does pendulum height relate to length when impacted by a bullet?

In summary, there is a problem involving a ballistic pendulum with a length of 5m and a bullet that causes it to rotate several times and reach a height of 14m. The question is, after spinning, what is the maximum height the pendulum will reach before momentarily stopping? The equations used are MiVi=MfVf and KE=PE. The solution is thought to be 4m by subtracting 10 from the maximum height of 10m. However, the exact solution is still unknown.
BryMan92

Homework Statement

Last year, I remember doing a ballistic pendulum problem, and this year I forgot how I did it. Essentially, what happens if you have a ballistic pendulum, of length 5m, and you shoot a bullet at it that cause it to go to a height of 14m? (What I mean is that the bullet causes the pendulum to rotate several times). So, after spinning around, how high will the pendulum go before momentarily stopping?

Homework Equations

MiVi=MfVf
KE=PE

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured you'd just subtract 10 (Since the max. height the pendulum can go is 10 m), and you'd get 4m? I'm drawing a blank.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
do u mean the bullet has an energy of mg*14 ?

The mass isn't important, I'm just curious what happens when height of the pendulum is confined by its length. So, if the length is 5, and the height (aka, when the kinetic energy = potential energy) is greater than 5. In this case, I made up 14.

1. What is the relationship between pendulum height and length?

The relationship between pendulum height and length is known as the "pendulum formula" and is described by the equation T= 2π√(L/g), where T is the period (time it takes for one full swing), L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula shows that the period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length, meaning that as the length increases, the period also increases.

2. How does the mass of the pendulum affect its height and length?

The mass of a pendulum does not affect its height and length. The only factors that affect the height and length of a pendulum are the angle at which it is released and the length of the string.

3. Can the height of a pendulum affect its accuracy?

Yes, the height of a pendulum can affect its accuracy. This is because the period of a pendulum is affected by its length, and a longer pendulum will have a longer period. A longer period can lead to more errors in the measurement of time, resulting in less accurate results.

4. What happens to the height and length of a pendulum when the angle of release is changed?

The height and length of a pendulum do not change when the angle of release is changed. However, the period of the pendulum will change, as the angle of release affects the distance the pendulum travels in each swing.

5. How does the environment affect the height and length of a pendulum?

The environment can affect the height and length of a pendulum in terms of air resistance. If the pendulum is swinging through a medium with a higher air resistance, such as water, it will experience more resistance and may not swing as high or as far as it would in a low-resistance environment. However, the height and length of the pendulum itself will not be affected by the environment.