Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum clock

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    I asked myself whether there are any possibilities to construct a pendulum clock, which period is independent of the acceleration of gravity, which may differ at different places, or the extension of the pendulum lenght, that is caused by different temperatures?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2

Gold Member

And? What answer did you give yourself?
  4. Sep 9, 2010 #3
    well I have not a clue..that is why I want to ask you...
  5. Sep 9, 2010 #4

Gold Member

Well, the force of gravity and the length of the arm are pretty much the things that define the period of a pendulum, so if you are were hoping to build a clock without those things being constant, it pretty much couldn't use a pendulum.

Since those are things that a pendulum has as its weaknesses, why would you use a pendulum at all, instead of using an alternate method that is not susceptible to the very things that you plan to vary?
  6. Sep 9, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you looked into the clocks designed in the mid to late 1700's by http://www.nmm.ac.uk/harrison" [Broken]?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Sep 10, 2010 #6
    but the point is: do you want to have an idea on how to overcome to acc. gravity or thermal change on the value square_root(g/L) or what?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook