Pendulum differential equation question

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of solving a second order differential equation for theta as a function of time, where the equation represents the motion of a pendulum. Different methods such as linearization and quadrature are mentioned, but it is concluded that the problem cannot be solved exactly. The conversation also touches on the relationship between pendulum speed and amplitude, and the possibility of using special functions to find a closed form solution.
okalakacheekee
Alright, for the second order differential d^2 theta/dt^2 = -g/l sin theta, where l is length of pendulum, g is gravity, etc...how do you solve that exactly for theta as a function of time?

I substituted (w=omega) dw/dt for d2theta/dt2...and eventually got 1/2 w^2 = g/l cos theta + C...but that doesn't give me theta as a function of time?

Any help is appreciated...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem usually asks for an approximation for small theta.

When that is the case, you can use the fact that

[tex]\sin \theta \rightarrow \theta[/tex],

[tex]\cos \theta \rightarrow 1 - \frac{\theta^2}{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
but is there a way to solve it exactly?

alright here's what i did
so let's say O is theta, w is omega, for ease of writing

first i have
d2O/dt2 = -g/l sin O
I said w = dO/dt and then dw/dt=d2O/dt2
eventually i got to a point where i had
w dw = -g/l sin O dO
so i integrated and got
1/2 w^2 = g/l cos O + C

problem being, i had no time in there...
so then i put back in dO/dt for w and got
dO/dt = sqrt(2g/l * cosO)
so when you separate everything you get
dO/sqrt (cosO) = sqrt(2g/l) dO
then you integrate..here's where i ran into trouble yet again...how do you integrate the left hand side?

No, there is no way to solve the "pendulum problem" exactly.

A standard attack is "linearization"- for small values of θ, replace sin(θ) by its linear approximation θ to get the linear equation d2θ/dt2= -(g/l)θ.

Another method is "quadrature" which is basically what you are doing. Let ω= dθ/dt so that d2θ/dt2= dω/dt= (dω/dθ)(dθ/dt)= &omega dω/dt= -(g/l)sinθ.

That can be integrated to get (1/2)ω2= (g/l)cos(θ)+ C, a "first integral" (which physicists would associate with the "total energy" of the pendulum).

You could, of course, rewrite that as ω= dθ/dt= √((2g/l)cos(θ)+ C); but the resulting integral is an "elliptic integral" which cannot be integrated exactly.

Originally posted by okalakacheekee
alright here's what i did
so let's say O is theta, w is omega, for ease of writing

first i have
d2O/dt2 = -g/l sin O
I said w = dO/dt and then dw/dt=d2O/dt2
eventually i got to a point where i had
w dw = -g/l sin O dO
so i integrated and got
1/2 w^2 = g/l cos O + C

problem being, i had no time in there...
so then i put back in dO/dt for w and got
dO/dt = sqrt(2g/l * cosO)
so when you separate everything you get
dO/sqrt (cosO) = sqrt(2g/l) dO
then you integrate..here's where i ran into trouble yet again...how do you integrate the left hand side?

What you've done turns up the very useful relation of pendulum speed versus amplitude. Another way to derive it is to write KE + PE = [tex]{1\over 2}mv^2-mgl\cos\theta=\mbox{constant}[/tex].

You can plot curves in v vs. θ space (this space is called phase space); these will look like ellipses but become distorted into eye-shaped as the pendulum amplitude reaches large enough angles.

If you know enough "special functions", then yes, the problem is solvable in closed form. Look up info on "Jacobian Elliptic Functions". They're not as common as sines and cosines, but they are just as legitimate in the "finding a closed form solution" sense.

Last edited:

What is a pendulum differential equation?

A pendulum differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a pendulum. It takes into account the mass of the pendulum, the length of the pendulum, and the effects of gravity and air resistance on the pendulum's movement.

How is a pendulum differential equation derived?

A pendulum differential equation is derived using Newton's second law of motion and the principles of conservation of energy. By analyzing the forces acting on a pendulum, we can create a mathematical model that describes its motion.

What is the significance of a pendulum differential equation?

A pendulum differential equation is significant because it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of a pendulum. It is also a fundamental equation in physics and has applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and mathematics.

What are the assumptions made in a pendulum differential equation?

The assumptions made in a pendulum differential equation include the absence of friction, a uniform gravitational field, and small oscillations. These assumptions make the equation simpler and more manageable, but may not accurately represent real-world pendulum systems.

How is a pendulum differential equation solved?

A pendulum differential equation can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using numerical methods. The solution will depend on the initial conditions and parameters of the pendulum system.