Model Sling Load under Helicopter: Pendulum Dynamics

In summary: The helicopter flies forward, creating a forward force on the mass. This forward force (drag) causes the mass on the pendulum to swing backwards. If I have the maximum force (drag), the length of the pendulum, and the mass, then I can find the maximum angle at which the pendulum is displaced with respect to the equilibrium position. I'm not too concerned with the time history of the pendulum after it has swung to the maximum angle though."In summary, the angle at which the pendulum is displaced with respect to the equilibrium position is found by calculating thetan of the drag force divided by the gravity force.
leylah
I'm trying to model a sling load under a helictoper as a simple pendulum.

As the helicopter flies forward, drag causes the mass on the pendulum to swing backwards.

If I have the maximum force (drag), the length of the pendulum, and the mass, then how do I find the maximum angle at which the pendulum is displaced with respect to the equilibrium position? I'm not too concerned with the time history of the pendulum after it has swung to the maximum angle though.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
leylah said:
I'm trying to model a sling load under a helictoper as a simple pendulum.

As the helicopter flies forward, drag causes the mass on the pendulum to swing backwards.

If I have the maximum force (drag), the length of the pendulum, and the mass, then how do I find the maximum angle at which the pendulum is displaced with respect to the equilibrium position? I'm not too concerned with the time history of the pendulum after it has swung to the maximum angle though.

Thanks in advance

well, here is my stab at it, and here's the math i did so someone can correct me.

[tex]T[/tex]=Tension in sling
[tex]\theta[/tex]=angle
[tex]F_{\mbox{gravity}}[/tex]=the force of gravity on the load

[tex]T\sin\theta=F_{\mbox{drag}}[/tex]
[tex]T\cos\theta=F_{\mbox{gravity}}[/tex]
Then I divide these two equations to get
[tex]\tan\theta=\frac{F_{\mbox{drag}}}{F_{\mbox{gravity}}}[/tex]
then take the inverse trig function
[tex]\theta=\arctan\left(\frac{F_{\mbox{drag}}}{F_{\mbox{gravity}}}\right)[/tex]

and there it is. Note that this angle is made from the vertical between the sling and the y-axis under the helicopter.

Hope this is right and helps you...

First, the drag force is probably both Stokes drag (low turbulence) and viscous drag (high turbulence) depending on velocity. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics )

Assuming this is a "snatch" with the helicopter moving at a constant horizontal velocity v and hooking onto the mass, this can be most easily modeled in the inertial frame of the helicopter.

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a model sling load under helicopter?

A model sling load under helicopter is a simulation used to study the dynamics of a pendulum-like system where a payload, or load, is attached to a helicopter by a cable. This is commonly used in helicopter operations, such as cargo transportation and rescue missions.

2. How does the pendulum dynamics affect the model sling load under helicopter?

The pendulum dynamics refers to the movement and behavior of the payload when attached to the helicopter. This includes factors such as the weight and size of the payload, wind conditions, and the helicopter's movement. The pendulum dynamics greatly impact the stability and control of the model sling load under helicopter.

3. What factors are important to consider in modeling a sling load under helicopter?

There are several factors that are crucial to consider in modeling a sling load under helicopter. These include the weight and dimensions of the payload, the length and stiffness of the cable, the helicopter's movement and speed, and external factors such as wind and turbulence.

4. What are the applications of studying model sling load under helicopter?

Studying model sling load under helicopter has many practical applications. It can be used to improve the safety and efficiency of helicopter operations, assist in the design of new helicopter and cargo systems, and aid in training and simulation for pilots and operators.

5. What are some challenges in modeling sling load under helicopter?

There are several challenges in modeling sling load under helicopter, including accurately representing the complex dynamics of the system, accounting for external factors such as wind, and ensuring the accuracy and validity of the simulation. Additionally, obtaining accurate data for the specific payload and helicopter being studied can also present challenges.