1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum force experienced at the top of the string?

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    In a demo, a pendulum was used. (See my pic.) It showed that the object experiences 3 g's at the bottom of the swing, according to F = (mv^2)/L. (where L, length of string = r) A peg is located a distance D directly below the point of attachment of the cord.

+ = path of circular motion
    O = object

First off, for a pendulum that starts at rest at a 90 degree angle to the vertical, energy conservation requires the speed to be consistent, so (mv^2)/2 = mgL or v^2 = 2gL. Now the force experienced at the bottom of the string is F = mg + (mv^2)/L, and after plugging in v^2 = 2gL, you get 3 mg (3 g).

Now my teacher gave us mg + T = (mv^2)/L. Is this for the force experienced at the top of the string? I don't understand how this is correct or what to do with it.

We are supposed to derive the relationship between D and L, where D ends up as (3/5)L. I read somewhere that the max. acceleration an object can endure is a = 5g. How can this be proven and how can I tie in this fact so the g's cancel out and I am left with D = (3/5)L?

Please help me. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2
    Soaring Crane

Physics is not my field, but I'll give this a shot.
    If you draw a right-angle triangle, using the change in height (D) as one side, and the length L where it is horizontal to D as the Hypotenuse, then you are looking for x, which is the other side. So, L^2= D^2 + x^2
    Now, you have 3g=v^2/2, so g=v^2 (3/2), so L= 3/2
    You have D= 3/5L, so D= 9/10
    L^2 = D^2 + x^2
    1.5^2= .9^2 + x^2
    2.25 - .81 = x^2
    x^2 = 1.44

I hope this is true, and I hope it helps!

4. Nov 4, 2004 #3
    Soaring Crane - my typo

My typo - sorry.
    x is not .12
    x is 1.2

5. Nov 4, 2004 #4
    Why do you solve for x?

Why is 3g = (v^2)/2? Wouldn't g then = (v^2)/6?
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?