Pendulum forces component form

In summary, the homework statement is asking for help in solving a question regarding a pendulum. The Attempt at a Solution states that the problem may be difficult to solve, but provides thoughts on how to approach it. The vector attached to the second term is directed from the radius of the pendulum, and there are multiple vertical forces working on the pendulum. The equation for the force is determined by Hookes law. Finally, the task asks for the x and y components of the force exerted by the springs, and the vector r(t) is calculated using the equations provided.
JaySean

Homework Statement

Hi, I need help in solving question c) (a pendulum) The required data, problem and relevant equation is in the picture

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to solve it but here are my thoughts:
since mg is working at j
y(t)j= mg
does that mean K(r-L0) x(t) direction?
I am not sure how to start/think to solve this problem so any tips will be helpfull, thanks!

Attachments

• Pendulum 1.png
    Pendulum 1.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 511
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the vector attached to the second term. It is not in the i / x direction but rather in the r direction. It acts directed from the radius of the pendulum. What law describes this force?

Also, think why do we divide the r vector by its magnitude?

Brian T said:
Look at the vector attached to the second term. It is not in the i / x direction but rather in the r direction. It acts directed from the radius of the pendulum. What law describes this force?

Also, think why do we divide the r vector by its magnitude?
Is it Hookes law?
I assume we divide r vector by its magnitude to determine the direction of the force

the rope stretches along its length like a spring. all c) asks you to do is split the diagonal Force into (x,y) components.

Is mg=y component correct or is it wrong?
And what force is working in the x direction? Or did I misunderstand what the task is asking for?

mg is entirely vertical ... but most folks treat "up" as positive.
That is not the ONLY vertical Force contribution, however. The diagonal (spring) Force has x-component and y-component.

So K(r-L0) works both in x and y direction? Am I then supposed to split the force and find which force works in x and y direction?

the wording in part c) could not be more explicit.

r(t)=(K*r)i-K*L0j would this be correct?

bump

What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a simple mechanism made up of a weight suspended on a string or rod that can swing back and forth.

What is the force acting on a pendulum?

The force acting on a pendulum is gravity, which pulls the weight towards the center of the earth.

What is the component form of pendulum forces?

The component form of pendulum forces refers to breaking down the force acting on a pendulum into its horizontal and vertical components, using trigonometry.

How do you calculate the horizontal component of pendulum forces?

The horizontal component of pendulum forces can be calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the sine of the angle between the string and the vertical.

How do you calculate the vertical component of pendulum forces?

The vertical component of pendulum forces can be calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the cosine of the angle between the string and the vertical.