Pendulum Formulas Homework: Newton's law & s'' in terms of theta

In summary, Newton's law can be written as G = -mgsinθ and G = ms'' but it is difficult to combine all three variables into one formula. To define s'' in terms of θ'', you can use integration to find the arc length s in relation to l and θ. This is derived by considering the small angle approximation and using the formula ds=ldθ.
sporus

Homework Statement

1. write Newton's law in terms of s'' theta and g for a pendulum
2. define s'' in terms of theta''

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

G = -mgsin theta

and G = m s''

but i can't get all three of the required variables into one formula

s'' = -g sin theta

i can't get to theta'' i thought about doing intergrals but i can't figure it out

Physics news on Phys.org
If the pendulum has length l and makes an arc of angle θ, how is the arc length s, related to both l and θ?

for an angle of 2pi (measured in rads), you have arc length 2pi*l, for an angle of theta it is theta*l. Detailed proof of this might need integrals to calculate the arc length or to prove it geometrically: for very small theta [tex]d\theta[/tex] the arc length ds would be equal to the string length dr and equal to 2lsin([tex]d\theta/2[/tex]). But because [tex]d\theta[/tex] is small sin([tex]d\theta/2[/tex])=[tex]d\theta/2[/tex]. So ds=l[tex]d\theta[/tex] and thus by simple integration s=l[tex]\theta[/tex].

i don't get it still ;;

sporus said:
i don't get it still ;;

Delta2 shows you the derivation to arrive at the relation of s=lθ.

does that mean that what he posted above was integration? i didn't get that because we haven't covered that in calc yet. i'll go over it again and try to get it

sporus said:
does that mean that what he posted above was integration? i didn't get that because we haven't covered that in calc yet. i'll go over it again and try to get it

It essentially becomes the same as finding the arc length given the radius l and and angle θ.

1. What is a pendulum formula?

A pendulum formula is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a pendulum, which is a swinging weight or object that is suspended from a fixed point. It takes into account factors such as the length of the pendulum, the weight of the object, and the force of gravity.

2. What is Newton's law in relation to pendulums?

Newton's law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In terms of pendulums, this means that the force of gravity acting on the pendulum weight is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How is theta related to pendulum formulas?

Theta (θ) is the angle that a pendulum swings from its resting position. In pendulum formulas, this angle is used to calculate the acceleration, velocity, and period of the pendulum's motion.

4. What is the formula for calculating the period of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period (time for one full swing), L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is based on the fact that the period of a pendulum is dependent on its length and the force of gravity.

5. How does the length of a pendulum affect its motion?

The length of a pendulum directly affects its motion, as shown in the pendulum formula T = 2π√(L/g). This means that the longer the pendulum, the longer its period will be. In other words, a longer pendulum will take more time to complete one full swing compared to a shorter pendulum.