1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum friction problem

1. May 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The attached figure shows a 2.0 kg metal ball suspended by two strings.
    If the string on the left breaks anf friction can be neglected, how fast will the ball be moving at point A?

2. Relevant equations
    GPE=mgh
    KE=(1/2)mv2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is it possible to solve this problem without knowing the height from the ground that the ball is located?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2010 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Pendulum

Yes, all you need is the change in height.

4. May 24, 2010 #3

Is there any way to solve without it because there was no height mentioned in the given problem?
    Besides the fact that the ball is suspended 0.4 meters below its support and the string is 0.6 meters long.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  5. May 24, 2010 #4

You are on the right track in using trig to solve for the angle (based on the information you added to the diagram). You only need to look at the y-component of the triangle that the string makes with the top surface. That is what your height change is.

6. May 24, 2010 #5

So I have mgh=mgh+.5mv2 and I need to solve for v. How do I know what h (the height) is on either side of the problem? Is is 0.4 meters?

7. May 24, 2010 #6

why is mgh = mgh + 0.5mv^2 ? at A the pendulum is at maximum K.E. while at the initial displacement and B the pendulum has max P.E. so 0.5mv^2 = mgh. you can find h as the length of the pendulum is 6 and the perpendicular height is 4 at the initial. So using that info. solve it all for v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook