Why does a pendulum in a car behave unpredictably?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pendulum hanging from the roof of a car and making a 10 degree angle with the vertical. The main question is why the pendulum makes this angle and how it relates to the car's acceleration. The explanation involves the concept of pseudo force and the inertia of the pendulum. However, the validity of the problem is questioned as it does not match with real-life observations.
mHo2

Homework Statement

Problem:
A pendulum with a 1kg mass hangs from the roof of a car traveling on a level road. The pendulum string makes an angle of 10° with the vertical as shown. Determine the cars acceleration (Hint: The acceleration of the car is the same as that of the pendulum)
(i'm assuming this is centripetal acceleration as it's on a centripetal force worksheet).
Known Variables:
g = -10m/s/s
mass = 1kg
string is assumed massless, ridgid, and even tension throughout.

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

[PLAIN]http://k.min.us/imvCIg.jpg The problem isn't so much in the calculation, which is what i solved in the picture.

My question is, why does the pendulum make the 10° angle with the vertical? Would it be the cause of a reaction force since the tension is pulling the object in a horizontal direction? Is it because it wants to go in its original direction?
If it is a cause of the latter, wouldn't taking this corner at a higher velocity cause the angle to be smaller, since centripetal acceleration is a power relationship of velocity? Also if it is the latter again, can someone explain to me why its velocity is always in a different trajectory than that of the car? Couldn't they equalize? (and therefore be straight up and down along the vertical)
Can someone explain this intuitively to me?

And extending upon this question, why does a pendulum go back and forth when a car is accelerating?

Any insight would be fantastic, thanks!

- Mat

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is because of something called as Pseudo Force. since the frame of car is accelerating, we cannot apply Newton's laws directly. in order to apply them, we use a pseudo force, opposite to the direction of the acceleration of the frame (car). the pseudo force = -ma, where m = mass of pendulum, and a = acceleration of frame (car), but just opposite in direction.

when you balance its components with tension and gravity, you find that 10 degree angle.

supratim1 said:
It is because of something called as Pseudo Force. since the frame of car is accelerating, we cannot apply Newton's laws directly. in order to apply them, we use a pseudo force, opposite to the direction of the acceleration of the frame (car). the pseudo force = -ma, where m = mass of pendulum, and a = acceleration of frame (car), but just opposite in direction.

when you balance its components with tension and gravity, you find that 10 degree angle.

That's the mathematical end of it, but it isn't a clear definition of what is happening. Can you explain this intuitively? or perhaps with an example? I want to figure out why its doing that, not how to solve for it.

Thanks

- Mat

Hello Mat!

you can imagine it as due to inertia of the pendulum. when the car begins to accelerate from rest, the bob wants to remain still. so it hangs on in the same position, but the car moves ahead. after sometime, the bob gains same acceleration as the car, but it remains hanging at an angle.

was i able to explain clearly?

Likes navneet9431
supratim1 said:
Hello Mat!

you can imagine it as due to inertia of the pendulum. when the car begins to accelerate from rest, the bob wants to remain still. so it hangs on in the same position, but the car moves ahead. after sometime, the bob gains same acceleration as the car, but it remains hanging at an angle.

was i able to explain clearly?

I think so, thank you!

thats nice...welcome!

mHo2 said:

Homework Statement

Problem:
A pendulum with a 1kg mass hangs from the roof of a car traveling on a level road. The pendulum string makes an angle of 10° with the vertical as shown. [...]

No it doen't. Have you even tried this? I have. It just swings around erratically with every moderation of the accelerator pedal, every curve, and every bump. And you haven't even given initial conditions of the pendulum. Should every car be factory equipped with a pendulum for the benefit of high school science professors to connect with physical reality we wouldn't be given such silly questions.

Last edited:

1. What is a pendulum hanging in a car?

A pendulum hanging in a car refers to a pendulum (a weight suspended from a pivot point) that is attached to the interior of a car and is allowed to swing freely while the car is in motion.

2. What is the purpose of a pendulum hanging in a car?

The purpose of a pendulum hanging in a car is to demonstrate the principle of inertia, which states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. This can be shown by the pendulum continuing to swing in the same direction even as the car turns or changes speed.

3. How does a pendulum hanging in a car work?

The pendulum hanging in a car works by utilizing the car's motion to keep the pendulum in motion. As the car accelerates, decelerates, or turns, the pendulum will continue to swing in the same direction due to its inertia.

4. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum hanging in a car?

The motion of a pendulum hanging in a car can be affected by the car's speed, direction of travel, and any sudden changes in motion. The length of the pendulum and the weight of the object can also impact its motion.

5. Can a pendulum hanging in a car be used for any practical purposes?

In most cases, a pendulum hanging in a car is used for educational or entertainment purposes. However, some modern cars use pendulums as part of their suspension system to provide a smoother ride and reduce vibrations.